Samsung Samsung EX1 appreciation thread

Thanks. The very last picture was something of a messup/throwaway, but when I saw it, I had to photograph it because I knew that I wanted it to look like that. I won't give the solution away to what it really is, but it's something very ordinary and everyday on the street, tuned out by thousands every single day. It turns out that messing up the shot a bit enhanced the effect I was looking for.

The pics I shoot aren't perfect, but I like being spontaneous and trying to turn mistakes into assets for the photo.

Thanks for the Herman rec. I looked him up, so hopefully that will help out.

Podium.jpg

SAM-2650.jpg

It's been a while since something was added here (that was a great shot by the way, snake!), so here're 2 shots I made in the last month or so.

sunset under construction
6795524275_86e7d8d4df_b.jpg
This is the new lobby that's being built at Rotterdam's Central Station, I posted another shot of it in the SIJ:
SAM_2132rt_small.jpg
The sunset was reflecting off the skyscrapers next to it.

Lines
6826984509_37d78aa02a_b.jpg

These neat lines of snow and asphalt attracted my attention this weekend. In hindsight I wish I'd taken the time to take a shot at a 90 degree angle to the road...

Ricardovaste,

This series is simply beautiful, I love it. I considered the EX1 as well and ended up with the LX3 but in your hands the EX1 is singing a nice song. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to more EX1 fun.

I'm working on a series on Rotterdam (my home town), mostly about its architecture. I'm not done yet, but I did want to post this shot here, because it really made me appreciate my EX1 and its image stabilisation: this is a handheld, half-second exposure! Having the fold-out screen for a larger distance between your hands probably helps too, but still, I was amazed at how well this came out! And even though the majority of 0.5 second exposures is a blurry mess, that evening I got several others that were sharp, or at least sharp enough not to be distracting when viewed at 1024*768...

Three bridges
6859550147_97992bcbc1_b.jpg

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have recently upgraded from a Kodak P880 bridge to a Samsung EX1.
First impressions of the camera are very good, but my main concern regards the Intelli Studios software provided.
Samsung provide virtually no information on this software apart from it can be used for Raw image conversion.
My Vista based PC refused to recognise the EX1,so I had to install Intelli Studios to upload jpeg files.
Problem is it functions like 10 year out of date software.
I can't drag and drop files to either Easyshare or Microsoft 'Pictures'
I can't even drag and drop or move files in the Intelli Studios folder
I can't delete more than one file at a time. There is a provision to delete all registered files ( all or nothing ) but
I can only highlight one file at a time for deletion ?
The cropping tool is primative
And the list goes on ----------
I have tried to uninstall and re install 3 times to no avail
A 'pop up' invited me to upgrade to the latest version. I did. Its even worse !
Reviews of the EX1 usually state that it comes with Silkypix software ?
Googled comments regarding Intelli Studios are nearly all negative

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Richard

Welcome Richard, and congrats on your camera!
That sounds like some incredibly bad software! Pretty weird that it's included with your EX1, I've only heard about Silkypix being included.

Have you tried visiting the Samsung website's download centre? There, you should be able to find Silkypix in the list of software for the EX1 (although it'll be called Samsung Raw Converder), and hopefully you can download it if you enter your product key.

Regarding your pc not recognising the camera, do you have a card reader on your PC that can read memory cards? That's what I use, it's much faster than using the USB cable.

Hope these things will help! If not, starting a seperate thread in the Open Gear Talk might attract more knowledgeable members than me ;)

Thanks for the advice Bart. I don't have a card reader. I think for the time being I will give Silkypix a miss as this is also generally poorly reviewed. Maybe Intelli Studios will handle raw better than jpegs.
I have given my PC a good talking to and it now begrudgingly accepts my instructions to upload the EX1 files direct to my Kodak easyshare software ( which is suprisingly good and also handles raw).
What Easyshare can't cope with, will be transfered to Picnik if necessary. This is mostly free and very good.
Richard

Thought this might be of interest to EX1 owners.
Samsung appear to have discontinued many accesories for the EX1 ?
The website just shows 3 flashguns as current extra's.
So I looked elsewhere for a lens attachment tube and found this one from Kiwifoto's at Amazon.

CON's.

Camera obviously not so compact and will not fit in a compact case ( Would possibly now fit in an Olympus pen type case )
Camera is very marginally heavier ( Its made of black anodised aluminium )

PRO's

Much improved handling . The camera is easily supported under the lens when shooting and looks and feels like a shrunken old style SLR
No vignetting apparent at wide angle setting
Eliminates the need for that dangly lens cap ( possibly causing lens motor damage when it's left on in error ) as the UV filter protects the lens and a standard lens cap fits on the filter
Camera now accepts my old UV, circular polarising and ND filters as well as Cokin - Ambico type filters

Before anyone chimes in with ' Now its not a compact camera and won't easily fit my Jacket pocket ' I would add that it would only take 20 seconds to unscrew and and you have your compact back ;)
I really like this gadget and now use the base of the lens to pick the camera up , just like an SLR.
I think I will probably keep it permanently on.

View attachment 50109

102_4540s.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

looks nice, although I probably wouldn't want to take those extra 20 seconds... the option of fitting a wide angle converter is tempting though!
I'm not seeing the EX1 in camera stores anymore, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's being phased out. Hope there'll be a replacement, that'd be a great sign of Samsung keeping up their ambitions as serious camera makers...

Street corner in the Barceloneta neighbourhood, in Barcelona
7215021564_11a19622a6_b.jpg

Casa Milà, aka La Pedrera (the Quarry), one of Antoni Gaudí's most famous buildings in Barcelona, seen at night
7215018774_3fde3b5c92_b.jpg

early-morning dew in my parents' back yard
7215223664_95d1ecd9a6_b.jpg

7215221102_d7b66b15b0_b.jpg

7215218760_18edf81641_b.jpg

Back