Samsung Samsung EX1 appreciation thread

I went to the Beaulieu Spring Autojumble on Saturday and brought the EX1. Lets get the moaning out of the way first.
The much vaunted AMOLED screen is overated. Even in moderate sunlight you can't see a thing - well you can just about compose your image
but because of the camera's poor ergonomics you can't review the previous shots until you find somewhere dark enough to see them.
A right handed shooter will inevitably push something they didn't intend to with their thumb. I wondered why the last 6 shots were so wildly over exposed
until I realised I was shooting close to ISO 3000 in bright daylight. :mad:
The screens articulation gets top marks, and clarity in normal shooting is very good but in sunny conditions it's no better than the screen on my old cheap throwaway Kodak 310.
And it scratches very easily. Rant over :D
The lens on this camera is amazing .:cool:
Rule of thumb is usually use a flash for anything under 1/60th sec.
I decided to shoot hand held jpegs at ISO 80 without the dual stabilization.

Auburn Speedster. F1.8 @ 1/20th sec

View attachment 54038

1920 aero engined Sunbeam land speed record holder . F2.5 @ 1/30th sec

oLDHsi9y.jpg

Dashboard F1.8 @ 1/20th sec.

s7mwLRLq.jpg

McClaren F2.5 @ 1/45th sec

Rs0g1rnq.jpg

Bentley Blower. F2.5 @ 1/30th sec

2Uwexmaz.jpg

1950 BRM F2.0 @ 1/20th sec

View attachment 54044

Now I realize I can't quite hold this dashboard shot at 1/ 10th sec :rolleyes:

View attachment 54045

1967 Lotus 49 F2.3 @ 1/30th sec

View attachment 54046

Obviously 400 ISO ( I think the dual stabilization automatically selects this ) would have meant faster shutter speeds with less camera shake but I think 80 ISO just about handles it most of the time.

Richard

I like that Lotus! My dad often told me stories of seeing it win Zandvoort in the hands of his hero, Jim Clark.

IIRC, dual IS automatically selects ISO800 - and I never, ever use it. If I feel the need for higher ISO I'll just select it myself...
The screen is quite reflective indeed, but the tiltability means you can often position it out of the way of the worst glare, or cup your hand over it without having to contort yourself, so in my experience it's still better than most, even in bright light... and I'm pleased to say that I stopped the random button pushes after about half a year :tongue:

I've got handholding it with slow shutter speeds pretty much figured out now, at the moment I'm trying to learn how to use fill flash properly. One step at a time... :)

And more and more i leave my DSLR @ home, and let the EX1 do the job...

This morning i was only use it in manual mode, and the oled is a great help.

7288729800_845a9de01f_c.jpg

Congrats! And what an image to celebrate your newfound focus in gear!
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, may I suggest a trip to some kind of interesting location, allowing you to put the EX1 to good use? ;)

wow I love the feel of the second shot, it almost looks fisheye (which I often find very fitting for trees and forests), due to the concave shape of the road. The dappled light makes it even better :)

After 8 months of EX1 ownership my camera continues to frustrate and delight. Going back to old film days my favourite lens has
always been 24mm wide angle. Even more so with digital, due to simple cropping. The EX1 lens zoom starts at 24mm and it's F1.8 aperture sealed the package for me.
My priorities are quick aperture control with a wide angle of view.
I always used to keep my non zoom 24mm lens ready for action on my old Contax with aperture on f 8 which could be adjusted in an instant on the back of the lens.
The EX1 sports a fabulous lens and the aperture is controlled by rotating the very sensative multi function wheel on the right side of the rear of the machine.
Simple - yes ?
Well yes in a laboratory or in perfect conditions but not always in practice.
My hands are average size but when my right finger is poised to press the shutter, the bottom of my thumb ( the meaty part at the bottom ) touches the wonder wheel and surprise,
surprise changes the aperture.
I was at the Beaulieu Autojumble last Saturday and the weather was very sunny and bright making the much vaunted OLED screen practically impossible to see at any angle.
Not only was it difficult to compose pictures , but on 2 occasions my thumb had changed the aperture setting giving wildly over exposed images.
The new Lumix LX7 now puts the aperture ring where it should always be - On the back of the lens.
If the EX3 copies this and adds an optical or hybrid viewfinder it would make a very dangerous beast. ;)
I am not that bothered about big sensors because I don't take poster size shots and EX1 lens and sensor are beautifully matched.
All of these images are jpegs,hand held and shot at iso 80.

This image of a 1920's Lalique frosted glass car bonnet mascot taken inside the museum has been cropped 24mm @ 1/8 sec

sam2309q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Still inside the museum this image of the 1960's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car could not have been taken without a 24mm setting because there was a brick wall behind me preventing me from ' stepping backwards'.

sam2312q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Another shot from inside with the early morning light pushing through the glass roof. f 2.5 @ 1 /30th sec

sam2317q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

The EX1 seems to exagerate deep reds.
This T- Bird was a very red car but I don't remember it being THAT red f2.5 @ 1/30th sec.

sam2347q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

A hand held 1/10th sec shot @ f1.8 without infill flash was asking alot without the dual image stabilization switched on, but the little compact did it's best.

sam2348n.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Jaguar MK2 interior at 1/60th sec looks less shaky

sam2373q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Original slightly cropped image of a replica GT40

sam2371q.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Cropped engine of the same image

sam2371q2.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

Citroen Maserati SM a lot of cropping taken at 24mm setting 1/250 sec. @ f3.9

sam2424rec.jpg

By richkaz at 2012-09-10

The salient point about the EX1 is that it ain't perfect but it's certainly got it where it counts :cool:

Richard

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, very cool! Btw, red always seems redder in digital. Have seen that through a few brands of cameras. Sometimes it makes me feel like people will think I am putting up an ove-rprocessed image, well maybe it is, but it's the camera's fault! :)

Back