Samsung Samsung NX Mini Announced

Maybe Apple should make an iPhone with an LCD screen that flips 180 degrees like that so people can frame their selfies better. Wouldn't that be a :nutkick0: to Samsung?

Hmmm... made me think that we haven't quite reached the selfie-apocalypse tipping point yet, because they are still putting the better camera sensor on the backside of the phone.

Hmmm... made me think that we haven't quite reached the selfie-apocalypse tipping point yet, because they are still putting the better camera sensor on the backside of the phone.

well this just shows how behind the times the old codger is...... telephones have 2 camera sensors in them? There have been rumors that I may make it through the remainder of my life without a smart phone.

well this just shows how behind the times the old codger is...... telephones have 2 camera sensors in them? There have been rumors that I may make it through the remainder of my life without a smart phone.

Wait do you guys really not know that iphones / ipads have 2 cameras (1 front, one rear)?

Suddenly, I don't feel so old. Thank you. [fist pump]

I have no idea why a telephone needs more than one camera. What are people doing with these things?

Video chatting ("Facetime" in apple parliance). We call Gramma, hand the iphone to the 4 year old, and because there is a camera on the screen side of each of their devices, they can see each other and chat. But for taking a traditional picture, you need to use the screen, so the rear camera works better.

I've taken an iphone apart a few times to replace the touch screen (see: 4 yr old). The camera modules are pretty incredibly tiny. I'd say they're a quarter inch square, tops, and maybe 3mm high, with a little flat ribbon cable coming out one side that clips onto the board.

It will probably be marketed as a smartphone and tablet companion device.
So with the features It has I know what demographic they are targeting.
At least I thought I did.
I read all the reviews as they came out late last Night.
One of the reviews said this camera would ship with a full version of light room 5.
Has anyone else read about this.?

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I just skipped over that self-blinky-thingy part that holds no interest for me and started thinking how 30mm f2.0 NX pancake with announced adapter might be fast short-tele option at half the price of Nikon 1 32mm lens. Or how this might tick Nikon to reconsider pricing of their Nikon 1 line in general. Or how V1 received lukewarm comments at first but now we have a long-lasting thread with great images...

They did it! Or then, maybe not really ...

EDIT: This was posted before the thread were merged, so excuse the repeats ...

Read this:

Samsung NX mini | Photography Blog

At first glance and in the light of what we've received from Sony with a similar sensor, this new camera seems very, very appealing - until you look a little closer. The first appalling thing is most of the markting blurp - holy cow, definitely not for enthusiasts, then, only for the selfie crowd. And the lenses? 9mm (24mm equiv.) f/3.5? Come on ... Nice and small, though, but how much more useful would a 10mm or 12mm f/2.0 or f/1.8 be? Shouldn't it be doable in just about the right size, too? And wait - no RAW shooting? Okay ...

In my opinion, that's one of the most depressing announcements in the last couple of months - so close, and yet a clear miss. That said, I might change my take on this once it's out and can be tested. And please note: This is not a general bashing on Samsung - far from it. I'm just disappointed that they didn't take it all the way through to something really useful - the idea itself is great. Or, as so often, I'd love to love this camera, but as it is, that's probably not going to happen.

M.

Well, at least I was mistaken about the RAW part - you can shoot RAW with it. And the 17mm f/1.8 will be sporting a stabiliser. So, maybe there's something useful going on all the same. But why they can't share the CX mount totally eludes me - of course there are technical reasons involved, but why not avoid those? Anyhow, it looks a bit more solid after further research.

M.

I have no idea why a telephone needs more than one camera. What are people doing with these things?

The primary sensor is usually larger and therefore on the rear (along with an LED flash) so that you can take shots of where you park with the number readable ... the secondary sensor is on the screen side for face to face VOIP through Skype or a similar application.

It also doubles as a mirror.

As for the subject at hand; this camera is going to get drone pilots excited! Wifi, cheap, light! Hell a Phantom could probably carry 2 of these and record HD bifocal!

Looks like the whole thing became one of those "opinions are made" affairs before the fact very quickly ... oh well. I'd've thought that with a 1'' sensor and at least some interesting features at the size, it'd be worth a closer look before being bashed this thoroughly. I'll freely admit that the way the camera is presented irritates me big time, too, so it's not as if I didn't understand most of the reasons for what happend, but still, I find it a little sad ...

It's all about the images, and I'm not yet entirely sure that this camera can't compete in terms of IQ *and* handling with some of the so-called "serious" offerings - it's got a Sony-like sensor, there's a fast prime on the horizon, the price is reasonable (a lot lower than the RX100), and we don't know anything about configurability yet (there are quite a few buttons available ... even if only one of them is labeled "custom", that's not too bad for starters).

If the camera delivers, I might well be swayed to get one - as of yet, I don't think so, but that's all. The black on doesn't look too cute ...

M.

Back