Sandy

Gosh, I'm glad it was missed! How do you plan to "cannibalize" it?

Winds much heavier now and it's raining...strong stuff. Parts of our town are right down at sea level and we're on the coast...but on Long Island Sound. I'm repeating myself I'm sure. Some friends have lost power. Some people have to evacuate. We are OK. I'm lucky to have a great husband who has set up the generator to run a few important things... Just hope the trees and major limbs stay put!

I'm glad it was missed, too! I plan on harvesting the wheels/tires (tires are only 1 yr old, and excellent) and stereo system for my slightly newer Sentra; the alternator and starter are fairly new and the body & interior is in mostly good shape, so that's being donated to a local school.

Good to read that so far you are doing well in the storm. A little while ago I saw the top 20' of a tree go sailing thru the air, it was quite the sight to behold!

Good to read that so far you are doing well in the storm. A little while ago I saw the top 20' of a tree go sailing thru the air, it was quite the sight to behold!

:eek: Yikes!!!!!! Are you near the Jersey shore...no, you can't be or you'd be floating... Wow, you guys are getting hit hard right now. They say we'll get it around 8pm.

Back to the car, well let's hope she stays nice and safe for your "harvesting". You do have a way with words, Yeats.:D

:eek: Yikes!!!!!! Are you near the Jersey shore...no, you can't be or you'd be floating... Wow, you guys are getting hit hard right now. They say we'll get it around 8pm.

Back to the car, well let's hope she stays nice and safe for your "harvesting". You do have a way with words, Yeats.:D

I'm in the northwest of the state, 1/4 mi from Lake Hopatcong with the Musconetcong River about 1000 ft behind my house, so there's a lot of water around. :)

My girlfriend's septuagenarian mother is staying with us for a while, and she's rather alarmed at all of the proceedings. :alcoholic:

Well hang in there - and you're great to have your girlfriend's mother with you.

Here's a photo from earlier today:
8136405730_35ec149083_z.jpg

My daughter and I went down to the beach to see how things were. I haven't been back out since.

8136396397_5a15d7d767_z.jpg

Fingers crossed and keep reporting in, Yeats. Just notice your signature line.:drinks:

Just heard on radio about State of Emergency in NY and widespread power failures ... unsuprisingly there seems to be a lack of activity on the board from members in the US NE ... here's hoping for the best

We got lucky in the area west of Philly. Plenty of rain, some wind, but nothing serious - we haven't even lost power, although I guess it could still happen today. But people on the Jersey and Delaware shore areas and up around New York City and Long Island got hit HARD. New York City's subways are underwater and may be out of service for a week or more. There's no power below 34th Street in Manhattan and that's a LOT of people. And the outer boroughs got hit hard too. So now we're counting our blessings and hoping for the best for all of those who have it so much worse. We were directly in the path, but far enough inland it seems. People near the water where the storm surges could get them were extremely vulnerable. The island where we spend a lot of time every summer was pretty much submerged for much of yesterday - we'll have to see what's left of it today. Atlantic City is a mess with a lot of people trapped there and chunks of the boardwalk gone, although I haven't seen that any of the recently rebuilt parts were damaged - I think it was mostly older parts waiting to be rebuilt anyway.

I know we have some people from the NYC area and various parts of New Jersey on the forum - I hope we start hearing from them and they're ok...

-Ray

We lucked out - never lost power, though many around us in our town and across the area north, south and west did, and there's been terrible flooding - due to storm surge and high tides. Big tree limbs down - but amazingly not on our property...but on our neighbors... Chainsaws will be started up later. We did not receive the amount of rain predicted which was a very lucky thing, as well.

So far news reports say 17 dead and millions without power. I feel terrible and can't imagine how terrible this has been for so many. The infrastructure was hit pretty hard in NYC...when the stock market is closed, you know even the heavy hitters are feeling it.

Hoping to hear from Ray, Yeats, Amin, Herbert and other members up and down the east coast...and now into the midwest. West Virginia has snow - even in the parts that are southern and not high in altitude.

Please report in everyone - when you can!

P.S. Ray - glad to hear from you! We must have been typing at the same time. So relieved you and yours are AOK and were lucky as were we.

P.S. Ray - glad to hear from you! We must have been typing at the same time. So relieved you and yours are AOK and were lucky as were we.
I was thinking the same thing. So that spot on the water you and your daughter walked out to yesterday probably wouldn't have been so hospitable later last night?

-Ray

hopefully all our members on the coast are safe. We have some dangerous wind advisories in place today and into tonight, but it seems this front coming down from western Canada will keep the remnants of Sandy from getting all the way here. The last time I heard of 35 foot waves on Lake Michigan was when I was reading about the wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald, but that's what they're predicting for today. I drove past the lakefront this morning after dropping my wife off at work. The waves are really coming over the breakwall. I'm gonna head down with some long glass and see if I can get some cool shots from a safe distance. (It's also a Tuesday....so I'll need to find a spot to get facedown with crazy waves crashing in the background)

Those who are suffering loss are in our thoughts.

Hoping to hear from Ray, Yeats, Amin, Herbert and other members up and down the east coast...and now into the midwest. West Virginia has snow - even in the parts that are southern and not high in altitude.

Please report in everyone - when you can!

Boston got spared. Mostly really strong winds, not too much rain. I think most of the damage were in the coastal towns both north and south of Boston. Boston itself is also by the sea, but probably because it's in the crest in a C-shaped coast it got spared. Some larger-than-usual branches scattered in our town. My daughter cried because most of the roses in her mini-garden were blown away.

Now it's back to the office for me.

Glad to hear that y'all are okay folks. And that you still have electricity too. I went without electricity for two weeks after Ike. The only positive is that it made me clean up the refrigerator. And watch less TV.

Back