Sandy

Oh, Hai Guyz!!!

Still here, still powerless... predicted restoration date is now Eleventy of November. A few days ago I managed to snag a couple of propane heaters and 2-dozen propane pounders, so we have a reasonable amount of warmth. The predicted nor'easter is currently in progress, but appears to be merely compounding the unpleasantness of our current straits, and is not a disaster in and of itself. I'm inland, though, so the nor'easter is bringing mainly snow and wind, not the tidal surges that folks on the coast are experiencing.

I hope everyone here is well, looking forward to the day when I can once again swap pics and schmooze with y'all.

Oh, Hai Guyz!!!

Still here, still powerless... predicted restoration date is now Eleventy of November. A few days ago I managed to snag a couple of propane heaters and 2-dozen propane pounders, so we have a reasonable amount of warmth. The predicted nor'easter is currently in progress, but appears to be merely compounding the unpleasantness of our current straits, and is not a disaster in and of itself. I'm inland, though, so the nor'easter is bringing mainly snow and wind, not the tidal surges that folks on the coast are experiencing.

I hope everyone here is well, looking forward to the day when I can once again swap pics and schmooze with y'all.

Glad you're getting by. Keep us posted on your progress when you can.

Gary

Yeats, you must be one of the most upbeat people I've ever met on the world wide web - love that "Eleventy of November" - and you're also very resourceful!

The nor' easter named Athena dumped about 4 inches of wet snow on us here along Long Island Sound just north east of Manhattan, but it compacted to about two and much has melted. Some who'd just gotten power lost it again. I feel for you and yours, Yeats - and for the others who've been hit so hard.

Here's to the Eleventy of November!:drinks:

The power is back!!! :whoo:

It was such a tease... power came on at 2 pm for about 3 minutes, then went off.... 30 minutes later the electricity returned again, and so far, so good.

Sadly, as BBW mentioned, the nor'easter knocked off power for approx. 100,000 folks who had just recently had their power restored. And other locations such as Long Island and parts of New Jersey are still without electricity.

I greatly appreciate the well-wishes and kind support from "youz guys", believe it or not simple expressions of goodwill warm the heart for far longer than it takes to type them.

So much to do now!!! L8r G8trs! :D

Yeats, you must be one of the most upbeat people I've ever met on the world wide web - love that "Eleventy of November" - and you're also very resourceful!

The nor' easter named Athena dumped about 4 inches of wet snow on us here along Long Island Sound just north east of Manhattan, but it compacted to about two and much has melted. Some who'd just gotten power lost it again. I feel for you and yours, Yeats - and for the others who've been hit so hard.

Here's to the Eleventy of November!:drinks:

Best to be upbeat when downtrodden, eh? :cool:

Let's drink to November Nine! :drinks:

Hey, we in California have been sending you guys bunches of C5's loaded with utility trucks and crews, if the power came on then suddenly off again ... it was probably our guys. That's what they do here.

Cheers,
Gary

Welcome baaaaaack, Yeats!:bravo-009:

And Gary - many thanks for sending some of your fellow Californians out this way. :2thumbs:

I've seen this before with our earthquakes (I had a company that was rated a 'model' company by FEMA for cleaning up the Northridge Earthquake, we recycled 95+% of the debris, we went on to Kobe for the Great Hanshin Earthquake), those were truly significant catastrophes, but the level of destruction and waste stream from Sandy is an entire magnitude or two greater. You guys will be digging out for at least a year and rebuilding for the next eight years. Good Luck and Godspeed.

Gary

Yes, BIG THANKS to CA and the other states - and Canada - who sent help for us. Last week while I was walking down the street I encountered a convoy of power trucks from Georgia traveling up the road... I was waving my hat at them like it was a parade! :clap2:

With all the help and well-wishes flowing in from around the country and around the world, it's nice to see that there are many folks who still care about their fellow men (and women).

Back