Saturn V

donlaw

Legend
Name
Don
When I last visited NASA's Space Center (10yrs ago?) the Saturn V rocket that was built for the scrubbed Apollo 18 mission was exhibited resting on it's side on the green exposed to the elements. That was as very impressive sight.
On a return visit last weekend, I pleased to see that it is now housed in its own shed building protecting and displaying it in fashion appropriate for the monumental nature of the missions it represents. Wow!
Enclosing it accentuates the scale of this one of a kind vehicle. If you ever journey to Houston you will find it worth a visit just to see the remarkable machine.

Photos taken with a Olympus EM1 and 12mm.

SaturnV.jpg

S5_firststage_bw.jpg

S5_secondstage_c.jpg

S5_finalstage_c.jpg

Finally, the Space Center at Nasa failed in its bid to get one of the retired space shuttles. But they do have this mock up on top of a plane. EM1 with 45mm.

shuttle_piggyback_bw.jpg

That's a place I'd love to visit as I'm fascinated by the Apollo program and I have many books on the subject.

I think the vehicle we're looking at in those pictures is made up of parts from three different Saturn V boosters, including a section intended for Apollo 18. Some of the cancelled Apollo rockets were used to launch Skylab and for the Apollo-Soyuz joint mission, and the parts left over were assembled into the vehicle on display at the Johnson Space Center.

-R

Richard, thanks for the explanation on the history of this exhibit. That info was portably explained at the exhibit, but I only had a few minutes to grab some photos.

The Air and Space Museum in DC has an excellent simulation of the bottom of the first stage of the Saturn V. It consists of one full F1 engine, two partial engines, and a set of mirrors. It's a pretty good effect, although nothing beats a real full scale replica.

Back