Saw an A7s up close

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
We were biking around Boston, and two guys my wife knows came up on us, on their way to the waterfront to do some drone footage. One asked if he could take our picture with his "new rented camera." He pulled out an A7s with what looked like a 35 f1.4? on it... The two of them struggled to take a picture, having little familiarity with it. "Where's the ISO? Ok but then how do I control the aperture?" And then they looked for the aperture control for what felt like an eternity.

Finally I said "hey I think that's a marked aperture ring on the lens guys," and they looked startled... "Oh yeah! Awesome!" And then they got a shot or two off. I guess they're used to modern DSLRs?

Kyle,

The antics of these guys don't surprise me, but I come from an era when guys walked around with cameras that had their aperture and shutter speeds controls visible for all the world to see . . .

I've never actually handled one, but my understanding about the A7S is that the pixel pitch is enormous and the low light sensitivity is insanely high. If it has an "auto everything" button, you could probably put it there, and it would take excellent pictures no matter how dark it was.

I have been tempted by this camera, and LensRentals has one for sale at about half of retail (Just in case you have way too much disposable cash and don't know what to do with it.)

Cheers, Jock

Back