Sony Saw An RX1 Out In The Wild Today...

Hey, I saw one in the wild a few weeks ago. I was doing my own shooting in the City, and saw a guy holding the RX1 at chest level, no strap. 'Nice RX1,' I said. He blinked and looked at me, then realized what I had said. He thanked me and we exchanged a couple of pleasantries. It's the only time I've seen one in the wild, and I'm often in places with a lot of camera-toting people.

I've actually never seen one either, except my own of course. I've now seen TONS of Fujis and Nex's and Olympus/Panasonics, and even a couple of Sigma DP cameras. Back in my X100, X-Pro, and EM5 days people stopped ME from time to time to ask about them. But I've never seen anyone else with an RX1, now that you mention it.

Oh well, it was always gonna be a niche camera - and evidently a pretty small niche.

-Ray

never seen one either. i see mostly m4/3 when i can actually make them out. ive had soooo many cams--digi and film--and was really in love with my x100. thought id never give it up. til i shot the rx1. in spite of my inate and intense sony-phobia its simply the best cam ive ever used by far. the files are just stupendous and its situational versatility unmatched in such a small form factor. add in my personal preference for 35mm and for articulating vfs and its really gonna take alot for me to give it up.

When I was in Tokyo, earlier this year I saw a couple of them on the street, and lots in the stores, along with everything else. But then again I do not see many GRs either

I've put my RX1 urges on hold in the hopes that the RX2 will solve the problems of the original, like the crappy video and mediocre low light focus. The A7s has video and focus speed in spades, so with any luck, the surely-coming RX2 will have solved those issues. Maybe even have a pop up EVF!

use mine in low-to-almost-no light all the time. never had a focus issue.

Me either, but I admit it depends on what you're used to and using as a baseline for comparison. As long as you remember to open the aperture to f2 or 2.8 (because it won't automatically open the aperture to focus), I find the RX1 focusses perfectly adequately in low light. But compared to my Df (which is reviled among Nikon hardcores for it's poor low light focus!), the RX1 is very slow to focus in any conditions, and that much slower in low light. The GX7 I had briefly a while back was also incredibly good (and fast) in low light. OTOH, if you're used to an EP1 or the original X100 (with the original X100 firmware), the RX1 is blazingly fast and accurate. Actually, it's accurate regardless, but not allt that fast.

-Ray

I've put my RX1 urges on hold in the hopes that the RX2 will solve the problems of the original, like the crappy video and mediocre low light focus. The A7s has video and focus speed in spades, so with any luck, the surely-coming RX2 will have solved those issues. Maybe even have a pop up EVF!

The A7s is a third generation FF camera focusing on the sensor by contrast detect AF, so it has to obviously be better than the RX1.
That being said, I agree with Ray, it all depends what you use a comparison.
I compare the RX1 to my previous NEX 7 and 5n, both of which I used as work tools (like I use my two RX1s now) and the camera can deliver.
I am a photojournalist, work long hours, shoot in very low light (f2, ISO 3200, 1/15) and the RX1 can deliver. Like a Contax G2, once you know the camera, you can use it without any issues.

As for the video. The A7s is first and foremost, a video camera.
The RX1 is first and foremost, a stills camera.
Yes, pretty sure a firmware update would give the RX1 (yes, the current one) better video by way of decompressing the codec and fine tuning the line skipping or the full readout.
But that was not a choice, probably because of marketing reasons rather than hardware reasons (as we have seen Panasonic's own line of video cameras hacked in the past)

The RX1 is not a flawed camera, as you seem to point out.
If you need what it delivers, it will deliver, no questions asked...but again, it all depends on what you expect from it and how.

On the pop up EVF. I have seen the implementation on the RX100m3 and I don't like it.
If anything, it has to be unified to the body in the NEX 7/A6000 form to be a real asset and not a hindrance.
The current method, hotshoe attached EVF, is not the best but it isn't terrible and miles better than the RX100m3 pop up version (needs a good eyecup)

Back