1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SC App to be Discontinued

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by Amin Sabet, May 30, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Our dedicated mobile app will be discontinued soon. It has proven too expensive and time consuming to maintain. I will continue to develop the mobile version of the site. For the time being, we will also continue to support the free Tapatalk app.

• Like Like x 8
  2. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    that's a pity - what's a mobile app ………. I thought that every home had one in the US

I've no idea what Tapatalk is, but it sounds like some kind of morse code development - Polly will know

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Have you tried the mobile version of the site lately? I prefer it to the app.

4. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I have enough trouble making mobile phone calls on my iPhone thing - I never know what's going to happen when I start running my fingers over the thing, I want my 10 year old Nokia back, it was a nice simple mobile phone

5. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Bill, mine's still going, and you can't have it :smile:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I tend to use the full site - even on my iPad. I don't bother with the Internet much on my iPhone.

7. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Tapatalk is how you communicate the prisoner in the next cell, no?

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2
  8. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I still have the latest Nokia proper phone plus two of the kids "cast off" which I think that they have set up for me as OAP emergency phones … maybe not

guess which are gathering dust

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. yakky

yakky SC Regular

Nov 30, 2013
    Please continue long term support for tapatalk. Mobile sites are fine but it provides a superior interface and uses less data.

10. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    aww damn I'm sad to hear the app will not be continued, I enjoy using it. But I understand if it's too expensive and time-consuming.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    Ive started to use a new web browser on my Ipad called Puffin.
    Its very smooth and fast and does flash sites quite nicely.
    I believe there is a free version to try.
    Best Ipad browser so far!

• Like Like x 1
  12. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I have an iPhone Amin, and use the app, how would I go about setting up the mobile version instead?

13. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    It would be a shame not to be able to access it through the free tapatalk.

14. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Just download Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    When I was working and traveling, I used Tapatalk fairly regularly; it was a good way to keep up with the forum.

Since retiring and becoming a homebody, I haven't used it once. May have to see if I can still find it on my iPhone...

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    If you visit the site using the web browser on your phone, it should automatically load the mobile version. If not, then go to the bottom left corner of the page and select SeriousCompacts Mobile from the style selector dropdown menu.

• Like Like x 2
  17. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    The new mobile layout makes everything much cleaner and easier to read, thanks Amin!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the positive feedback! Just added the thanks button and it seems to be working well.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Yup, works well :smile:

I do have one request, dunno if others agree; is it possible to change the "latest posts" link on top to a "recent discussions" link? That way the latest posts will still be on top, but a discussion won't disappear from the list as soon as you viewed it. I think that would be useful if for some reason you want to revisit a thread you read earlier, which happens to me all the time.

For instance, ön my android mobile i have no tabs, so if i want to look something up or copypaste a url in order to reply, i have to move away from the particular thread, and then when i return it won't be in the list anymore. If i don't remember in which subforum the thread is, it'd make for a lot of searching.

20. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Which browser are you using? I use Chrome, and have used Dolphin and Firefox in the past, on Android. All have tabs. Chrome enables me to synch across all my devices, including personal Windows desktop and work laptop, tablet and 'phone.

Sent from another Galaxy