Scenes from the tidal zone

Those who live near an ocean take all this for granted; those of us who don't, when we do get there, have great fun "seeing" the diversity in life at the small scale of tidal pools. All from my winter location in central coast NSW, Australia… and with EM5.

Miniature in shell life
CM_SK_Au_4b.jpg

Circular composition in rock
CM_SK_Au_4c.jpg

Ocean geyser
CM_SK_Au_3-2.jpg

Intimate scene in tidal zone
CM_SK_Au_3.jpg

The ocean has red hair
CM_SK_Au_4c-2.jpg

Colin is right: When one lives near the ocean one can take a lot of this for granted. I grew up on the New Jersey shore. But most of our sea life isn't anywhere near as colorful as this. A lot of green, grey and brown near me. That's the cold water of the North Atlantic for you.

Colin is right: When one lives near the ocean one can take a lot of this for granted. I grew up on the New Jersey shore. But most of our sea life isn't anywhere near as colorful as this. A lot of green, grey and brown near me. That's the cold water of the North Atlantic for you.

Yes, this kind of diversity needs warmer waters, but not too warm. And the right kind of rocks that are at a level where the tide washes over them daily.... I am enjoying this little universe every few days as it seems the light, and serendipity, offers something different each time.

Enough on SC seem to be enjoying these, so as long as I can find some continued interesting subjects, I will extend this thread. Honest, I don't hang out at these tide pools all day! But, they are amazing for their diversity when I remember to check in at low tide, if the light is decent. A few more from today, two that are all colour and texture, and two of an amazing critter that I have only seen when snorkelling before.

Coral at low tide mark
CM_SK_Au_6.jpg

Orange sponge and starfish at low tide mark
CM_SK_Au_6-2.jpg

Octopus resting on the sand (Sydney Octopus - common on SE coast of Australia)
- This guy was about 30 cm in body, with tentacles that could extend to about 60 cm. Some PP to bring back contrast and colour as shooting through 40cm of water in the tide pool.
CM_SK_Au_6-3.jpg

Octopus takes flight - these are wonderful creatures to see flowing through the water.
CM_SK_Au_6-4.jpg

Nice shots, I sometimes wish we lived nearer the coast but after the recent weather here in the UK I'm actually glad we don't. I suppose in reality none of us in the UK live too far from a bit of coastline - being a relatively small island 'n all. We're about 30 miles away here, I do sometimes get up onto the Fylde coast to shoot a good storm and was going to venture over there during the recent chaos but thought better of it when I saw how severe it was out there.

Fence guys are coming today to rebuild the back one we lost in the last storm.

Back