Scottish highlanders in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Nature' started by pniev, Oct 7, 2013.

1. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Posted this at Fujixspot too. My apologies to those who saw it already. A group of Scottish highlanders (I might be using the wrong name) walking freely in the dunes. It was a nice yesterday, so I brought the Fuji x-pro1 and the 60mm lens (and velvia 100F- preset during LR import).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    You have some very nice compositions here :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks! I guess nature photography suits me better than street photography. ;-)

I am not really happy about colors etc. so I need to do something about that.

4. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    "Hairy coos" seems an apt description.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    i opened this thread expecting to find a lot of men in kilts. seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I love those Highland cattle.

• Like Like x 2
  8. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    So, is it relief or disappointment?:smile: I was just about to make the hairy coo comment too. I clearly need to get up earlier and check the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheRubySusan

TheRubySusan SC Top Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    I was expecting men in kilts, too. I won't say I was disappointed (It's been my experience that most men who wear kilts outside Scotland have the physique to defend their choice if challenged!) but I was certainly surprised!

I enjoyed them all - not a breed I often get to see! Oddly, I like the third one best. I say oddly because the classic advice when photographing critters is to get the eyes sharp, and you can't really see any of their eyes. But maybe that's an important part of the portraits in this case!

• Like Like x 1
  10. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks, Ruby! Perhaps I should buy a kilt.

It wasn't possible to focus on the eyes w/o focus peaking and I just did not have the time/patience to do that. I used f/8 to get sufficient DoF so the eyes would probably have been sharp in #3, if they would have been visible. The cow just did not want to look at me so I took the shot when I saw the cow in the background looking at me. Viewfinders come in handy for these type of shots.
    BTW: When I look at 100% the eyes of the main subjects are sharp. I also prefer to work with shorter rather than longer DoF.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lcsolla

lcsolla SC Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Luis Castro e Solla
    Nice photos. Looking at them, I would presume they had been taking anywhere but in the flat Netherlands! can you tell us where you took them?

• Like Like x 1
  12. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thank you for your kind words. They've been taken in nature preserve Lentevreugd and close to dunes and sea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    Great images.

They are lovely animals - very placid. If they know you, they'll come to you to feed from your hand. An occasional banana goes down well :smile:

• Like Like x 1