Sculptures

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by Herman, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    These sculptures are made by Theo Keurentjes from Holland.
    They are part of an art market that takes place from August 27 - 29 in my hometown.
    I asked permission for shooting and posting, he agreed.
    His website: Theo Keurentjes - 't Steenuiltje Beeldhouwerij te Westerbeek
    Enjoy looking!

Any sculptures nearby where you live? Show them, thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. JanCdeRidder

JanCdeRidder SC Rookie S.C. Charter Member

Aug 3, 2010
    L1000760.jpgL1000761.jpgL1000765.jpga few more ....

• Like Like x 5
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/4907718823/" title="L1000423 - Version 3 by Otra2004, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="685" alt="L1000423 - Version 3" /></a>
    Leica X1 f/12 @ 1/60th ISO 800

Posted elsewhere but I thought I'd add it to this thread, too. It is not a grave, but rather a sculpture by Daniel Chester French...the sculptor who is, in part, known for The Lincoln Memorial. I came upon this little faun while walking around the grounds of Chesterwood - Mr. French's country house, now part of the National Trust here in the USA.

• Like Like x 6
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

• Like Like x 7
  5. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Olympus E-PL1, 15mm @ f/8, 1/90, ISO 400

• Like Like x 6
  6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Oly EP2 + 20/1.7 @ Ima Hogg Garden in Houston, Texas

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/armanius/4457222107/" title="Greek statue at Ima Hogg Garden by Armanius, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="480" alt="Greek statue at Ima Hogg Garden" /></a>

• Like Like x 5
  7. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Christian and Armando, many thanks for bringing this thread back up with two such different, yet still very romantic images. Both are very moving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roni G

Roni G SC Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Another sculpture by the sea:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30845197@N00/5499370343/" title="Untitled by Roni G, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  9. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    The sculptor presenting the concept
    GRD1
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/3527300471/" title="Sculptor animated by meaning_of_light, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="Sculptor animated" /></a>

After many months of hard work on hard stone
    (sorry EOS 5D)
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/4774197548/" title="_MG_8626s by meaning_of_light, on Flickr">[​IMG]"745" height="1024" alt="_MG_8626s" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/4777042901/" title="_MG_8302c by meaning_of_light, on Flickr">[​IMG]"887" height="1024" alt="_MG_8302c" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  10. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Roni, talk about timing and framing!?! Those pigeons really know how to take advantage of that setting don't they - and you caught it all perfectly with that one in flight - wonderfully seen!

Will, this is a very cool series - so interesting to see this piece from its infancy to its finished in place existence.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Olympus E-P1, 56mm @ f/5.4, 1/125, ISO 250

• Like Like x 3
  12. WJW59

WJW59 New to SC

Feb 20, 2011
    Art Center Waco

The Art Center of WAco is located in an old mansion. The Dancer is located on the roof of an old pavilion that is behind and below the house.

The Old Man is part of a piece that has been moved several times. There are three pieces and this is one of them. In the original there are two seated figures and a woman on a bed/lounge either dead or dying. This man was by the bed and the third figure was watching. I've got to find my negatives of it in the original form.......

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    WJW59, thank you for these two and please when you do find your negatives and can scan them, I'd love to see the sculptures in the original setting you've described. I'm surprised that they have separated the "old man". The dancers looks fantastic on that rooftop! And, WJW59 please stop by our Welcomes and Introductions forum, when you have a chance.:th_salute:

14. WJW59

WJW59 New to SC

Feb 20, 2011
    Oops, I thought I had done the W&I.

Funny story on The Dancer. The current location is not the original for it either. However, it was moved from its' original location because the dancer is a nude male dancer and the former location was right outside the rooms where the elementary school art classes were held. Apparently, some parent(s) complained.

On the original for The old man, I can't lay my hands on the negatives right now but I did find a digital snap from 2004 (shot with my wife's 2MP Fuji 2650 and still her favorite camera). I've attached the picture below. Note that this was taken after the first vandalism incident and the base had not been completely repaired and the figures are slightly moved. The sculptor was an emergency room nurse.

DSCF0007.JPG

15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you so much WJW - these three together as I believe you are saying the artist intended are extremely arresting. I would have thought she'd have been adamant about the three pieces remaining as a whole. If and when you find the original original, please add it - meanwhile this is a big help! Clearly this artist, the former emergency room nurse knew what she was doing and captured the pathos in a very real way.

Interesting about the male dancer needing to be moved. I'm guessing he prefers it up there.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    This was posted in the W/NW Black & White thread but probably belongs in here too. This is a carving of the goddess Nike in the ruins of Ephesus, Turkey. Our tour guide was doing his best Nike impersonation (sans wreath).

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5488227739/" title="RIMG0196-PPR2 Ephesus Ricoh CX1 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="682" alt="RIMG0196-PPR2 Ephesus Ricoh CX1" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  17. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    The Prawn

[​IMG]
    Panasonic G1 with 14-45mm, f/3.5-5.6 zoom

This was erected on the Barbican in Plymouth some years ago and drew much criticism at the time, I guess it has become an accepted part of the landscape now.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  18. Booka

Booka SC Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Sweden
    MillesGĂ„rden

I recently visited the Carl Milles Statue Park in Stockholm, Sweden. Apparently he was quite active in the Michigan area so you Americans may be familiar with some of his work. I took a few interesting pictures with the tree branches framing and following the lines of the Sculptures.

RicohGRDIII

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason