Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Seen at a red light. I am no longer worried about getting it in 30 minutes or less. :cool:

NJF-2015-246-Edit.jpg

I seem to have a thing for serpents. Unlike my previous image a few posts back, you would not like it if this one bit you. An American Copperhead; not lethal, but causes extreme sickness and days of unbearable pain.

EDIT: it has been brought to my attention this is not a Copperhead, but one of the lookalikes, possibly a juvenile Black Rat Snake. I failed to notice the round pupils - Copperheads have vertical slits in their eyes. My mistake.

Copperhead1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I seem to have a thing for serpents. Unlike my previous image a few posts back, you would not like it if this one bit you. An American Copperhead; not lethal, but causes extreme sickness and days of unbearable pain.

EDIT: it has been brought to my attention this is not a Copperhead, but one of the lookalikes, possibly a juvenile Black Rat Snake. I failed to notice the round pupils - Copperheads have vertical slits in their eyes. My mistake.

View attachment 127988
All snakes are guilty unless proven innocent. Nice shot, though.

All snakes are guilty unless proven innocent. Nice shot, though.
Snakes are fascinating. I went to a reptile workshop where I got to handle the largest Timber Rattlesnake I have ever seen . . . so large that the fingers of both hands couldn't meet around its widest point. It was over 4 feet long and over 30 years old. He said it was non-aggressive, but he had a clear tube over its head, just in case. He actually put the thing on a large table, and we walked around it and took photos. I was intrigued.

Snakes are fascinating. I went to a reptile workshop where I got to handle the largest Timber Rattlesnake I have ever seen . . . so large that the fingers of both hands couldn't meet around its widest point. It was over 4 feet long and over 30 years old. He said it was non-aggressive, but he had a clear tube over its head, just in case. He actually put the thing on a large table, and we walked around it and took photos. I was intrigued.

I don't harm snakes; it's not their fault I'm a bit phobic. But unless I know what kind it is, I assume it can kill me. That's especially true of my recent travels in Laos, where I don't know one serpent from another. So it it is small, I assume it is some sort of kraite, and if it is big, I figure it is either a cobra or something deadly that I cannot recognize. I think I was the only kid in my cub-scout den that would not touch the snake (non-venomous) at the local natural history museum. They are fascinating, and often beautiful, I just don't want to get up close and personal with any of them.

Back