Self Portraiture

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by Lili, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    This is the first shot I did in an on-going Cindy Sherman style self portrait series.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/2298724421/" title="Wings by colette_noir, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1021" height="1024" alt="Wings"></a>
    S6000fd
    I have many more but have never posted any, as they are very personal

• Like Like x 8
  2. Iansky

Iansky SC Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Cotswolds, UK
    Well Lili it was worth the wait, I like the subtle shapes, tones and the crop enhances it - the selected focus works for me as well as does the B&W conversion.

I cannot see anyone being in any way concerned about this image so keep them coming please as they are a very pleasant change from landscape to humanscape and subtle shots of body crops are always thought provoking and often inspiring as in this case.

It makes me think about my next image along this vein.

Thanks for posting,
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili

Thanks awfully, Ian :)

4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I think she might mean the others are a bit more revealing. I think your composition is good here, maybe a little more drama to the lighting. Subject matter makes it intimate but a more dramatic lighting/use of shadows would bring out a sensuality too. I am btw not good at self portraiture. Then again my last attempt was just as intimate [ekg leads for a holter monitor on my chest] but somehow those colored leads and patches made it more raw than anything. And I like your pendant, love angel related things.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    LOL thanks, that was my first effort been using light and shadow far more in the recent shots. I do love that little pendant!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Looks great Lili! Who's Cindy Sherman? I'll have to google her.

Maybe this can be the beginning of a thread for selfies. Mine wouldn't look anywhere as sexy and pretty though!

• Like Like x 1
  7. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Nice work Lili. Ian's right, as long as their tasteful (as yours certainly is :thumbup:), then they will make a great series and change.

I personally like the use of natural lighting and agree that your selective focus is spot on. The textures are absolutely exquisite.

But, meanwhile,

Don't sell yourself short mate. I'm sure the images would, inevitably, satisfy a niche market. :wink:

• Like Like x 4
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    it's probably a very small niche indeed ... if Armando can possibly restrain himself, I'm sure the rest of us will be deeply grateful ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    Oh bite your tongue!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Worry not ... I'll restrain myself! It's bad enough they are constantly using photos of me on those Abercrombie & Fitch ads.

Seriously, I really didn't know Cindy Sherman an hour ago. BUT, I do now thanks to Wikipedia.

11. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I thought there was something familiar about those advertising shots mate, I just didn't click until I realised they're only using you for the torso crops. But now, well, it's unmistakable! Better than Mark Wahlberg :thumbup: Thanks for clarifying. So why did you go with A+F rather than Calvin Klein?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    CK is a thing of the past. They haven't been "in" since Brooke Shields' famous words about "nothing comes between me and my Calvins." My goal was to appeal to the younger impressionable crowd! But now, I just want to live incognito. Hence my Muttley avatar!

• Like Like x 2
  13. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Anyway since I was responsible for the swinging segue, I thought maybe I'd attempt to get us back on track. :blush:

Here's an old self portrait, but then again I don't think I've changed that much since the days that I toted around the X100.

[​IMG]
    self portrait by stillshunter, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    well done, Mark love the lighting, make me think of a Crucifix

15. Iansky

Iansky SC Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Cotswolds, UK
    Hey Mark, love the lighting and linked pointing - Footloose!!

16. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    Nice shot ;-)

can we expect more soon :biggrin: ?

I'll try to post some too when at home

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    thank you, I will see about more

• Like Like x 2
  18. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I'm glad you decided to post your image, Lili. It has beauty and impact and is done with taste.
    There are things I would like to try, different in theme but similar in approach but, due to work overload, my photography is de facto limited to "seen while strolling" type.
    So it is an additional pleasure to discover an on-going project; I believe it is not only a good way go deeper into photography, but also a wonderful way do delve into oneself.
    Hopefully you will show us more. And inspire others to follow:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I agree with everyone, very tastefully done, Lili.

Armando, you were showing how young you really are - not recognizing Cindy Sherman.:tongue:

Mark, I remember that photograph of yours, and I, too, can't help but think of it in re an iconic crucifixion image, though I am guessing that was not your intention.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Here's one I took for the SIJ so some of you will have seen it..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1