Selfies!

the problem isn't selfies themselves. There is nothing inherently wrong with a self-portrait.

The problem is actually social media and attention-deficit riddled facebook addicts who need constant reaffirmation that they have friends or "look hot". Of course, since most selfies that we are exposed to are low-res, low light garbage screengrabs of Joe (or Joanne) Nobody making funny faces or trying too hard to look serious (or sexy, or insert your own adjective here), the very act of creating a self-portrait is taking a beating. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, please.

And don't forget that the act existed long before the phenomena nearly ruined it..... Before the Selfie, the Self-Portrait

I walked through Leicester Square today (more fool me) There was a "selfie bus" there. Idea was you could take a snap with your portable telephone and up load it to a website, and in seconds have it displayed on a big screen on the side of the bus.

Wrong on so many levels.

I have nothing against taking photos of oneself, but the social media-fuelled selfie-fad is so shallow, so mememe...

Sent from another Galaxy

Interesting you chose that portrait. It was what I was thinking of as I read your post!

the problem isn't selfies themselves. There is nothing inherently wrong with a self-portrait.

The problem is actually social media and attention-deficit riddled facebook addicts who need constant reaffirmation that they have friends or "look hot". Of course, since most selfies that we are exposed to are low-res, low light garbage screengrabs of Joe (or Joanne) Nobody making funny faces or trying too hard to look serious (or sexy, or insert your own adjective here), the very act of creating a self-portrait is taking a beating. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, please.

And don't forget that the act existed long before the phenomena nearly ruined it..... Before the Selfie, the Self-Portrait

Back