1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sensor Size

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ReD, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Sensor Size

When it comes to printing we ask a lot from our cameras

I recently made some 20x16 prints (500x400mm) & was very happy with the images produced. – (Ok not really large prints but bigger than I used to have from my 35mm film cameras).

But to put it into perspective here is the actual sensor size of the F660 drawn up in scale 1:1 in relation to the print size

I can see the obvious benefit of larger sensors but when all said and done the size & print quality from the 660 is a little miracle

• Like Like x 6
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Ha! That's pretty amazing.

3. CM_SK

CM_SK SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Phew… I looked at this quickly and thought for a frightening second that your image was showing "the new full frame…. a 20 x 16 inch sensor" :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Haha, that's pretty awesome.

Just wait until the printers catch up to sensors (and then our retinas).

5. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    It's even more amazing when you think about major Hollywood movies being filmed with super 16mm cameras with a film frame size of 12.52mm x 7.41 mm, and then screened in a movie theater where the average screen size is 22m x 16m. Films like The Black Swan for example was filmed in super 16mm.

Most movies are filmed with the more traditional super 35mm size which is roughly the size of an APS-C sensor which is still tiny when compared to a full movie theater screen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013