September 2013 in B/W

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
August has seen a very small number of regulars here engage in a crude form of a Photo A Day Challenge. Some people don't like the idea of using photo prompts....others use film and don't feel like they can contribute to any sort of daily challenge when their medium is more likely measured in weekly or monthly. I think a lot of the excuses bandied about are just that------ excuses.

So this one is no excuses.....and we're not taking any time off. It starts on Sept 1st. There is one rule. Share a photo a day. Hopefully you shot it on that day...maybe the day before....if you get busy with stuff...feel free to choose anything recent. But this is NOT a place to just showcase your talent or your past triumphs. You are really only as good as your most recent good shot. And color is OK....but I've been doing a lot of b/w conversion lately and have begun to appreciate the difference.

And some people like to be limited in some way....so there's your limitation...make it b/w. Or leave it in color....whatever. I'd really like to see a lot more people participating the September challenge. Don't worry about doing the whole month (and don't worry about the RULES). Just go out there and make images...and share your best one very day here. Make it so you're so busy shooting that you don't have time to look at gear reviews!

So the rules are ...

1. share a photo (try to make it daily...but whatever...if I see a shot more than week old, I may delete it.... seriously that is not the point of the challenge...the point is to shoot every day.)

2. b/w is preferred, but color is fine...and see rule #1

Wait... so the title of this challenge is "September 2013 in B/W", but color is grudgingly accepted? C'mon, man! I'll even participate in this... in B/W!!!

Great initiative, Luke. The lack of a guiding theme makes it a bit easier (But I do admit it was a lot of fun to work with a theme).

September will be more challenging because of work/travel but the possibility to shoot ahead of time helps.

Peter

I'll go for this one, but won't promise to be daily regular. I'll give it a good old go, though. This is less of an encumbrance than needing to shoot a daily prompt :) Also, the weather is improving.

You misunderstood August Challenge Sue - There were prompts but you took them in any order you liked on any day you liked. no rules is No Rules

Now, you're really stretching my resolve. I don't do B&W! Not, because I don't like it, but because I don't know how to do it well. And, because I think that my subject matter just looks better in color. (My eyes don't see in B&W, they see in color.)

But, I will "dabble" in it a bit, just to keep Luke calm. :D

Just to be clear. The idea is to post one photo every day, even if it was not taken on that day, provided that it is a fairly recent photo? If so, would it be acceptable to take seven (7) photos on a Saturday, and post one a day for the following week?

I really intended to participate in the August Photo Challenge (I even suggested a theme) but life just got in the way. Yesterday was the first day all month that I was able to go out shooting, and it was not a terribly productive day.

Cheers,

Antonio

Since I rather like black and white, but really dislike prompts (or whatever you want to call them) I will endeavour to participate. I'm getting things straight in my new home and whilst there will be one or two days when I have workmen in hopefully I will be freer in September to take some photographs.

Barrie

Just to be clear. The idea is to post one photo every day, even if it was not taken on that day, provided that it is a fairly recent photo? If so, would it be acceptable to take seven (7) photos on a Saturday, and post one a day for the following week?

Absolutely fine Antonio. We understand that people have other things going on in their lives. I just don't want this to turn into "let's see what shot I can pull out of my archives today". We have plenty of places for people to showcase their past glories. The challenge is to get out there and do it every day (or ever weekend if that's all time will allow).

Luke,
It seems like a great idea to me. I can try to get a photo everyday, but I am sure it won't always be possible. I like ajramirez's idea of getting a fairly recent photo.
Also, the with an ongoing challenge it can motivate the eye to watch for photo ops when you least expect it.

You misunderstood August Challenge Sue - There were prompts but you took them in any order you liked on any day you liked. no rules is No Rules

No, I didnt. I dont like the prompts style of challenge, whether its a particular prompt on a particular day, or 30-31 to shoot in whatever order you like. I ran with it last time and managed all but one, but did not enjoy it at all (and it showed in my shots... generally, they were rubbish)

...The challenge is to get out there and do it every day (or ever weekend if that's all time will allow).
This is why I am doing it. I do need encouragement to leave the house, at times, and this is a good way of getting there. Also, its been a very long time since I have actually chosen to shoot in B&W (as opposed to colour, converted via SEP) so its going to be a very interesting exercise.

Back