Serious (But Smaller) Medium Format

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by deirdre, Jan 28, 2011.

1. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I've got a little present on the way to me: a 6x6 Zeiss Super Ikonta III folder with a sweet little Tessar lens.

Normally, I'd say medium format is opposite of compact, but the folders (and, arguably, the Mamiya 6 and 7 and perhaps some other smaller bodies) are pretty darn small and light for their image size.

Anyone else have compact medium format cameras they're still using?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)

My first camera was a folding roll film Voigtlander Bessa 1 that I bought in about 1970, that was a folding 6 x 9 camera with a 105 mm, f/4.5 lens, sadly no longer in my ownership.

3. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with it - I'm being tempted to start shooting MF again.
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Congrats! Sounds like an interesting camera. I've always been curious about how much better a medium format is than 35mm.
  5. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    I finally got my scanner working right and I think I may learn to love it yet. I remember this glitch -- I accidentally double-exposed, but I think it looks pretty neat.

6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    Deirdre, I love the dreamlike nature of this one! Your mishap turned into a really nice image.
  7. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    Beautiful image
  8. I wouldn't mind seeing a rangefinder format 645 style camera. Same sensor as the Pentax 645D with either a folding fixed lens or intercangeable primes (the latter would be best).
  9. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    True, but how many people can afford one? A rangefinder excels at the typical distances people shoot at, but are people really going to spend 20 grand on a medium format camera that can't do macro or really long shots?
  10. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Fixed it! Needed to wait until I was home and could fix the title, too.
  11. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    What a happy accident there Dierdre. SUPERB! Reminds me very much of Julia Margaret Cameron's style....
  12. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Here's the next one on Ilford FP4 (ISO 125, so much less grain).

• Like Like x 1
  13. akulya

akulya SC Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    I was thinking just this the other day - who likes the idea of a medium format (645) rangefinder with interchangable lenses and even an interchangable digital back? (so your lens investment can stay, and as tech progesses, youi can swap out the hot bits and keep the body you like)

Well now I know, Me and Peter. That's who. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Count me in. I'd love a digital Mac.
    Actually, I'd love a digital Rollie F with a 2.8 Planar.
    • Like Like x 1