Serious Compacts and Stock Images (e.g. Getty)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by stillshunter, Mar 8, 2014.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Like many folks on here I've had some images requested by Getty Images on Flickr and even made some coffee money for my trouble.:biggrin: I know a few years ago Getty accepted Leica X1 images but I've heard little about other compacts beyond that. My research has yielded something as vague as this release:

…but this would mean many 1/1.7" sensors might qualify - well some 16mp models are 'better' than my old Nikon D700 which has been my most 'profitable' camera.
    (Also explains why my film scans never make it :blush:….:laugh1:)

Again, it's not a fortune but there's a small bonus in these 'sales' and so I wonder where the lines of diminishing returns begins.
    tiny - iPhone, Nokia Lumia 1020,
    really small - 1/7" - e.g., XZ2, G16, EX2
    small - 1" - e.g., RX100, Nikon 1
    getting bigger - mu43 - e.g., mu43
    a little bigger plus an iota - 1.5" - G1X, G1Xii
    midling - APS-C - GR, Coolpix A, NEX, Fuji X100/XPro/XE/etc.

From my experience:
    My smallest sensor that's sold has been full-frame (D700), my smallest sensor accepted has been APS-C (K5), my smallest sensor invited has been mu43 (EP3).

Can you share your smallest censored stock imagery tale.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    All of my stuff is beneath Getty....:biggrin::redface:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Hahahah... mine too :)
  5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    The Nikon D700 is a really good body - did you sell it - do you regret selling it?
  6. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Was a bulletproof body but the complete opposite of a Serious Compact. Close to 1kg on it's own and even though I shot primes on it - and not the bazooka premiere f2.8 zooms - the thing was two hands full.

So in short, I do not regret selling it as it was too cumbersome to be with me always. But the files - even only being 12MP - were so elastic and a sheer delight to work with. Getting them was the problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Doing a little more research. Reputable stock imagists Alamy list the following serious compacts as "Recommended"

Canon EOS M
    Canon Powershot G15
    Canon Powershot G16
    Canon Powershot S120
    Nikon 1 V2
    Nikon J1
    Nikon V1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10
    Samsung NX10
    Samsung NX100
    Samsung NX20
    Samsung NX200
    Fujifilm Finepix X100
    Fujifilm X100S
    Fujifilm X-A1
    Fujifilm X-E1
    Fujifilm X-E2
    Fujifilm X-M1
    Fujifilm X-Pro1
    Leica M8
    Leica M8.2
    Leica M9
    Leica Vario M
    Leica X1
    Leica X2
    Olympus OM-D E-M1
    Olympus OM-D E-M5
    Olympus PEN E-P1
    Olympus PEN E-P2
    Olympus PEN E-PL1
    Olympus PEN E-PL2
    Olympus PEN E-PL3
    Ricoh GXR A12
    Sony Alpha NEX-3
    Sony Alpha NEX-5
    Sony Alpha NEX-6
    Sony Alpha NEX-7
    Sony DSC-RX100

Some notable exceptions here…e.g., where are the Merrills? Though they're not on the "Unsuitable" list

Surprising though that the Canons G15 and 16 and s120 are the only small sensors recommended. :confused:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    How about the Ricoh GR? And none of the Pentax DSLRs are listed. K-5 family? K-3?
  9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Seems like to dismiss output from the likes of the X10/20/XF1 is a bit pompous & dissmissive - elitist would be more apt
  10. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    I, yes me, I and moi edited the recommended list to the 'traditional' compacts. The official list - as per the link, even lets you sport your old K200d.:wink:
    Good pick-up mate. Those three are not only not on the guest list, but on the black list. I wonder why 'No" to them and "Yes" to the Canon S120? :hmmm:
  11. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Updated this Chart - Makes no sense at all to exclude any camera if the 120 is accepted

12. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    My images are with The Image Works, but their clients are largely editorial, not much in the high end advertising. They have accepted images of mine for their files from m4/3, mostly from my Nikons (APC and full frame), the 1" Sony and even a couple from my Samsung phone. But acceptance into their files and sales are two different things. When they accept for their files it surely means they have some idea that they might be salable, but only time will tell. Even Getty changes over time with regard to what they will accept, according to a friend who is a long-standing Image Bank-now-Getty photographer. The safest route for anyone who wants to sell stock is to use full frame, however, the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you still applies. For my part, I am enjoying the Nikon Df files, and stock efforts aside, I simply enjoy using that camera for myself, everything else is bonus. But the little Sony and the Fuji x100s are there for those times when I can only have something very small with me.