Feedback Serious Compacts Hacked

:bravo-009: Amin!
For me it was a good opportunity to change all my passwords and to make sure passwords differ per site.
Thanks for the hard work.
Peter

I can't imagine what we'd all do if we didn't have these "watering holes". When I saw the site was down, I wondered what the heck is everyone doing - and where? ;)

Many thanks, as always, Amin.

Sad to lose the "thanks" system, but thanks for your work in getting the site back up. It does seem to be running faster IMO.

One thing I've done with all these sites -- I let the site generate a random password, then I keep the e-mail with the password, and I hit "remember password" in my browser when I log in. If I ever accidentally log out, I just do a search in my e-mail search box for "seriouscompacts" or "fujixspot" etc. and the e-mail with the password pops up. This way, the only password that I have to remember is my e-mail password, even if I'm traveling. All my forums passwords, etc. are stored in my e-mail, and they are all different. This is for goofy stuff like forums. Anything connected to, say, financials, has an independent, far more secure process.

Sad to lose the "thanks" system, but thanks for your work in getting the site back up. It does seem to be running faster IMO.

One thing I've done with all these sites -- I let the site generate a random password, then I keep the e-mail with the password, and I hit "remember password" in my browser when I log in. If I ever accidentally log out, I just do a search in my e-mail search box for "seriouscompacts" or "fujixspot" etc. and the e-mail with the password pops up. This way, the only password that I have to remember is my e-mail password, even if I'm traveling. All my forums passwords, etc. are stored in my e-mail, and they are all different. This is for goofy stuff like forums. Anything connected to, say, financials, has an independent, far more secure process.

That sounds wonderfully convenient... and terribly dangerous should someone get into your email. Given you clarified that your financial info is retained in another manner then perhaps simply losing access to forum sites isn't something to fret over. You could always contact a moderator should you lose your log-in or if you have difficulty with reclaiming your forum identity, create a new one. Memorizing a lot of passwords is a pain, particularly if you are very active online, however writing them down whether they are on paper in your wallet or on your desk or typed up in your email just leaves a door open. Mind you in memorizing them all, if I am not active often enough in said groups or on certain sites I will forget and have to go through the password reset dance that most sites have. But I would rather do that as I can always remember my security question answers.

Sorry this all happened to you Amin but thank you for telling us all. Having just seen a member return from a few month hiatus it concerns me that those who are not active daily might not get the heads up soon enough allowing them to change their passwords. I'm not sure that any of us needed to however many of us did and they should have the option to choose. Is there any way to do a simple mass mail so that members who haven't been around know to protect themselves as well? Maybe simple isn't so simple with so many members and I don't know if you have a way to pull up inactive names or to to segregate recently actives form long gones.. but it was just something I was thinking about. Glad to see all running well so far.

If someone gets my password for fujixspot, I'm not sure that I care all that much. If they get my e-mail password, I have larger concerns than if they can suddenly pretend they are WT21 on mu-43 :)

I think there are levels to security, balanced with convenience.

I'm horribly bad about using the same or similar passwords on other sites.

For financial stuff, I have seperate usernames and passwords on those sites. My email account has a pretty obscure password too, but I rarely have to remember it. For forums such as these, I use pretty much the same password and if someone gets in, I'm not as worried about it.

Is there any way to do a simple mass mail so that members who haven't been around know to protect themselves as well?

I did this earlier today. Did not mass email members on the other 4 sites because as far as I can tell those sites were not compromised. Just posted the warnings on those as a precaution.

Back