1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SeriousCompacts.com is now PhotographersLounge.org

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    When I started SeriousCompacts in early 2007, smaller digital compacts weren't being taken seriously. To the industry and in the public eye, pro and enthusiast photography meant big DSLRs. A group of us understood that smaller cameras could produce seriously good images, and the site was born.

Now in 2014, the rest of the world has caught up. For 4-5 years now, it seems hardly a month has gone by where some prominent magazine or blogger wasn't proclaiming that it might be time to drop the DSLR and go mirrorless. These days, those posts read a lot like "Time to Get a Smartphone?" — late to the game.

As a group, our DNA is still very much that of small camera afficionados; however, many of us enjoy larger cameras as well. To some of us, the site name "Serious Compacts" has become an unnecessary limitation. A barrier to sharing with the community what we shoot with larger cameras. And let's face it, we're not a very serious group at all. On the contrary, the relaxed atmosphere is something we all cherish.

So with that, I'm happy to announce that Serious Compacts is now Photographers' Lounge. Nothing much has changed except that it is now explicit that we welcome discussion about and photos from all sorts of gear from phone cameras to medium format film and everything in between.

Please note the new address: www.photographerslounge.org

• Like Like x 18
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks Amin.

Is it appropriate to note any inconsistencies in the forum appearance in this thread or do you want them in the "help" forums?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I think this thread is a good place to note them. For sure there is more work to be done. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok.
    The only thing I'm seeing that sticks outlike a sore thumb is that the "SeriousCompacts will be down for maintenance and changes at 1pm EST today (less then 10 minutes from now)" banner is popping up all over the place still

5. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Has anyone seen my smoking jacket? I think I misplaced it. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Should be fixed now. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Good ring to the name

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Actually pretty perfect name. Nice one!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I know the mobile style still has the old logo and that the FAQ and other sticky threads need editing as well.

10. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Has a nice sound to it. But, sure drops the "serious", which was part of my reason for adopting this place as "photography home". Oh well, I'm retired now, so, I guess I don't need to be serious about my "sunset years" of photography either! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    One more little thing:
    If i click on "Active Discussions" or "Image Threads", the menu disappears once you land. You have to click one of the tabs to get it back.

(I think I noticed this on the "old" site come to think of it, but my memory might easily be playing tricks )

12. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Happy, happy, happy :biggrin:

Sincere thanks Amin.

14. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Do you plan to offer relaxing, live music in the lounge, Amin? Where's the bar? :cool:

15. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I am totally up for a brandy, a maroon satin smoking jacket bearing the PL logo (with Panther's e-Cigar) and a leather recliner. Ahhhh...

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I see I can't connect via Tapatalk any longer so I presume that that means of access has been abandoned completely now?

I know you were planning to do so anyway

17. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Does this mean that I can now post some of my DSLR images?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve

You could always do that, Bill. We're easy. But, yes, feel free to post. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    yes, because he hasn't posted a single dSLR image since he joined ... ::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill

would I ever!!!