1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SeriousCompacts is moving to a better server

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    At some point within the next few days, we'll be moving to a new server with more resources. Ultimately that should provide better site performance, but there are likely to be a few hiccups. The site may go down briefly, and you may experience issues for up to a couple days as DNS propagation occurs. In the meanwhile, I'll post any and all updates on my Google+ page.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. This is one of those growing pains that should make things better for everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you very much, Amin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    Great. Hopefully, "New Posts" will then work like it should. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I think the New Posts issues are attributable to the version of vBulletin which we are using. I hesitate to upgrade to the next version, because some other forums have experienced worse bugs after the move. I like to hang a couple versions back until bugs get worked out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I picked a lousy day to do a server change. Here's to better decisions in 2012 :drinks:.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    The server move is complete. Please let me know if you find any bugs!

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Unfortunately, posts which were made on the old site after the server change are lost. In fact, there are probably still a few people who don't realize they're on the old site and are still posting there. I can go back to the old site to copy posts and bring them here, but it's a very manually intensive process.

If anyone wants to go to the old site to copy/paste from posts which were made today during the server change and didn't get copied over, the old site is available here:

Code:
    http://199.193.245.247/seriouscompacts.com/
    However, when you go to that site, clicking on any link will take you to the new site, so you have to hover over a thread link to find out the url for the thread and paste the old IP before it in the browser.

So a thread with the URL:

Code:
    https://www.photographerslounge.org/f63/fuji-x10-settings-start-5152/
    has to be entered in the browser as:

Code:
    http://199.193.245.247/seriouscompacts.com/f63/fuji-x10-settings-start-5152/
    Making things worse, you have to specify the page of the thread you want to see, again because links won't work. So to go to page 2 of that thread on the old site, you would enter this into your browser:

Code:
    http://199.193.245.247/seriouscompacts.com/f63/fuji-x10-settings-start-5152/index2.html
    Sorry about this. I should have closed the old forum down to prevent posting there during the server change!

• Like Like x 1
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Crap. I posted this morning, must have been during the move.

10. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    Hi Amin
    Just to let you know I'm not getting emails of notications of PM's as of 15.15gm Uk.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Penny, I've checked your settings and everything looks good. Hang in there and we'll see what can be done. I am sure you've checked your "spam" folder and other things like that? I found that I had to change my email provider to gmail...as my regular account wasn't working.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.