Share your favourite Photographic related movie

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Grant, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    Last night I watched Funny Face a great movie where photography featured prominently. There were a number of delightfully photo related scenes in it. There was the time when Fred Astaire showed up in a book store with three Rolleiflexs hanging around his neck and light meter sticking out of his pocket. All I could think of times haven changed as there are still gadget horses with us today. At another point, Audrey Hepburn, as a fashion*model,*says to Fred Astaire, playing the part of a fashion photographer,*"Trees are beautiful. Why don't you photograph trees?" Astaire responds, "I do what I do for a living. It has to do with supply and demand. You'd be amazed how small the demand is*for pictures of trees." The scary part is it is still true even today.

After the movie I got thinking of all the other photographic related movies I have seen and which ones really have an impact on me, Here are a few that I can remember :

Amelie
    Blow Up
    Born into Brothels
    City of God
    The Eyes of Laura Mars
    Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus
    Manufactured Landscapes
    Memento
    One Hour Photo
    Pecker
    Rear Window
    Salvador
    Spiderman
    The Year of Living Dangerously

While Born into Brothels, City of God have to rank up there with some of the best of the best I think Blow Up had the most lasting effect me because it taught me to question what I see.

Has anyone else have a favorite photographic movie or is it just me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Grant, we are of like minds, age and spirit...
    you named all that I would have posted....
    don

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Grant - great list! There are several on there that I have not yet seen - including Born into Brothels which is on my Netflix hit list. Now I feel I need to have a retrospective film festival.

I love Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire - two with such style. Of course Rear Window is both an excellent Hitchcock and the camera does put in a good appearance. I've never really thought about movies in quite this way, but you can be sure I will from here on out.:th_salute:

4. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Grant, the first one that came to mind is on your list: Blow-Up. Very risqué for its time (1966)...!

• Like Like x 1
  5. andrewh973

andrewh973 SC Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    NYC metro are
    Nice list, Grant. My wife and I saw "Amelie" in the theater, and recently on DVD; great feel-good film.

Photography plays a role, but not as prominently as above:

"Apocalypse Now": with Dennis Hopper as the lunatic (only way to stay alive) photojournalist shooting cameras with no film.
    "Three Days of the Condor": with Faye Dunaway as the art photographer, caught innocently in the middle of a vicious CIA intrigue gone bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    High Art was a decent film...the one with Ally Sheedy...

• Like Like x 1