Shift Happens

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
In this case day shift.

Underneath these ladles which typically carry 170+ tons of molten steel is a ceramic gate valve called a "ladle gate". It's job is to seal off a nozzle on the bottom of the ladle and provide control of the flow of molten steel into the tundish when casting.

This one failed to open enough to operate the caster machine, and then failed to close back up. A "leaker".

Ultimately the crew was able to prepare another ladle and pour the steel from this one into it so it could be reprocessed and cast successfully -- and it was.

Shot with my trusty and everpresent Fujifilm X100S and all frames processed from JPG -- which with these scenes is very impressive IMO.

10197056275_06c228fd9d_b.jpg

Shift Happens: The Adventure Begins by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10197077566_70136397d6_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Examining the Ladle by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10197077166_2d271271d9_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Melting Supervisor Guides the Ground Crew by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10197123723_d62af337df_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Reladle Approach by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10197076236_df65d1dee4_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Casting Supervisor Watches Final Pour by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10196942644_64027d137c_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Reladle Process by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10197122803_cd35eabf3e_b.jpg

Shift Happens: Inspecting the Damage by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Really cool shots! Not sure I understand everything that was wrong or needed fixing, but it looked great :)

Thanks!

We're a steel mill that melts old steel scrap, processes it to the correct chemistry for new steel grades, and then casts that steel into 10" thick raw steel slabs that are rolled into plate steel from 1/4" to 5" thick.

What this is, is a large steel vessel lined with ceramic that is used to transport molten steel around the mill. It's called a ladle.

The ceramic valve underneath allows us to drain the steel into the machine that casts the steel slabs -- and it malfunctioned neither opening enough to use the caster nor did it seal back off again. It makes a hot mess, lol.

Haha. I was convinced I responded already but that turned out to be at FujiXspot. But they're so beautiful, I'd like to repeat my comment here: AWESOME!!
I also like the industrial theme a lot.

Thanks all.

True it is potentially very dangerous but though this was a somewhat dramatic situation it was not as bad as it looks. The ceramic lining of the ladle was intact -- this was not an urgent "breakout" where the lining has failed and the inches thick steel wall of the ladle is melting.

It was really a pain in the neck where we were trying to keep from wasting a valuable product and repair the ladle and return it to service. The guys did an outstanding job doing that.

When people come to work at the mill they either really get into it, or run from it. There is a fair bit of turnover in new hires but the ones that stay tend to stay a long time.

I myself have been there 22 years. I took a position there in 1991 after a layoff during a recession that year which left me jobless. I took it out of desperation intending to leave as soon as possible. You see how that worked out, lol.

Wow, I can feel the heat watching these photos, the orange color I like a lot, it is supposed to be color of communication, it gives vitality to the spirit.

Thanks! With regard to the color orange, your post made me think of this (not that it's relevant, lol)...

"My Red is so confident he flashes
Trophies of war and ribbons of euphoria
Orange is young, full of daring
But very unsteady for the first go round
My yellow in this case is not so mellow
In fact I'm trying to say, he's frightened like me"

-- Jimi Hendrix from "Bold as Love"

Every industrial plant like this should have a John Griggs type, with a quality camera, and the skills required to take these kinds of shots. This might do something to help people realize where all the things we purchase really come from, and be more supportive of primary industry...

Thank you and amen!!! The decline of American industry and the substitution of a "service economy" is shameful and ultimately self-defeating. But then I would feel that way, wouldn't I, lol?...

Back