Show around the World A-Z Group Challenge

G - 2 of 7: Gothenburg (Goteborg), Sweeden:
Gothenburg - Wikipedia

First one is opera house:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks. I totally forgot that Marry Poppins was playing there when we were there. Good catch.
Serhan: an opera house with Mary Poppins playing?? (boooo..!) Love the moving tram photo.

Richard, thanks for the photo of the famous line divides the world into two, hmm not that big:)

G4 of 7 - Galata Tower (built 1348) from Istanbul, Turkey

original.jpg

original.jpg

Galata Tower - Wikipedia

And the view from the tower:

G5 of 7: Golden Horn, Istanbul, Turkey

original.jpg

bigger size: http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/71608493/original.jpg

same view in 1880's from Wikipedia:
Galata_Kulesi_%27nden_panorama.jpg

bigger size: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Galata_Kulesi_'nden_panorama.jpg

& w/ some zoom power of a 10x P&S, Topkapi Palace:
original.jpg

Golden Horn - Wikipedia

G - 3 of 7: Greenwich, England

Taken a couple of years ago, and not with a serious compact either. In the second picture my assistant has her finger on the Greenwich Meridian - eastern hemisphere to the left of the line, western hemisphere to the right.

-R

Great photos, and I love seeing this! "It's ... it's REAL! I always thought it was imaginary!" :)

Serhan: an opera house with Mary Poppins playing?? (boooo..!) Love the moving tram photo.

G - 2 of 7: Gothenburg (Goteborg), Sweeden:
[

First one is opera house:

I got a kick out "Mary Poppins." I was thinking, first there were "real" Opera Houses in Europe. Then, in 19th Century America, there were Opera Houses that mainly showed Vaudeville. So maybe this is the second sort of Opera House? Of course, the Met recently put on Sondheim's "Sweeny Todd" (With Bryn Terfel in the title role - how I wish they'd filmed that production) so the lines are blurring, blurring.... And then again, Mozart wrote singspiel as well as opera. I think I'm getting dizzy.

"It's ... it's REAL! I always thought it was imaginary!" :)
The metal strip in the floor is real enough. When I was a child the thing to do was line up as a group to have your picture taken with one foot in each hemisphere. The section up by the Royal Observatory looks a bit more impressive, but that little strip on the floor further down the hill was where we always stood as kids.

These days I think people use the line to check that their satnav devices are working correctly !

-R

Back