Show around the World A-Z Group Challenge

Yes, it's been a while... Thanks for remembering it:)

I 1 of 9
Istanbul, Turkey
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I 2 of 9 Illinois River at Henry, IL, a bit of history. (That may sound redundant, but there's an Illinois River in Oklahoma, too. I've known about it for over 10 years and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it!)

Monument commemorating the demolished lock and dam.
11041428873_d41e9301e0_b.jpg

Illinois River History - Monument by rubyj29, on Flickr

What's left of the lock, behind a pylon of the bridge. Unfortunately the photo is more atmospheric than informative, but the highs were in the 20's and I got my feet wet emptying a fountain in my garden I've been planning to empty for 2 weeks when the highs were above freezing, after weakening up 4 inches of ice with a brick and smashing through it with a tiling spade, and that was it for my outdoor activities today! I didn't go down and reshoot.
11041441366_ed10f32cb9_b.jpg

Illinois River History Remains of Lock by rubyj29, on Flickr

Steamboat Elsie's Lighthouse, a privately maintained lighthouse about 15 feet tall, and built with remnants of the dam when it was destroyed.
A 2012 article about the lighthouse from Lighthouse Digest can be found here: Lighthouses@Lighthouse Digest ... Steamboat Elsie
I keep meaning to go down there and check, but although I've heard that it was still being kept in service by the current owners, the flood of Spring 2013 may have knocked its light out, at least for the time being. The lighthouse itself is still in good shape - this was taken this summer.
11041519924_e90b187f6f_b.jpg

Illinois River History - Steamboat Elsie's Lighthouse by rubyj29, on Flickr

Illinois.... a small town called Mark. This is a saloon owned by my great grandpa (I believe). I need to get back together with my mom and work on identifying branches of our family tree.
Mark is about 18 miles from Henry. I've never actually been there, but when a number of bridges were closed this spring due to flooding, I drove past it on the way to a doctor's appointment in Spring Valley!

Back