Show "Bicycle"

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
DSCF0524.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In my home country Holland I see bicycles everywhere. I too got a bike (of course), my wife has an E-bike. When weather is fine we take our bikes and go for a ride.
I have heart that biking isn't a tradition in the US, that biking in for example New York may be a dangerous adventure.

In my home country Holland I see bicycles everywhere. I too got a bike (of course), my wife has an E-bike. When weather is fine we take our bikes and go for a ride.
I have heart that biking isn't a tradition in the US, that biking in for example New York may be a dangerous adventure.

There's actually quite a bit of biking in the cities over here Herman. New York has quite a lot of cyclists, Philly has a lot, Seattle, Portland, Tucson, and many other cities have quite a few people using bikes for transportation. And there are lots of great rural areas for recreational riding. But it seems like most Americans live in suburbs and the suburbs are almost always TERRIBLE for cycling and that's why there's so little of it. I feel safe riding my bike in Philly and I'm sure I would in New York City - urban traffic isn't bad for cycling with the relatively short blocks and low traffic speeds. But the suburbs, with their 8 lane roads and everyone trying to drive 60mph are really dangerous.

-Ray

Somehow I this thread hadn't caught my eye until right now.:redface:

I love bicycles for their beauty, their lines and for the good and, sometimes a bit frightening, memories.;) Herman, as Ray said, many people ride bicycles in the United States both in cities and in the country. I think that much depends upon the area where one lives. Some of the "suburbs" are so spread out that they're not ideal for bicycling to the markets or other stores...and there are two many big highways with behemoth cars and trucks...while other towns and cities are much more conducive to bicycling. Terrain has something to do with it, too. All that said, I do agree that compared to many other parts of the world we here in the states, or the "colonies" as Bill likes to call us, are not as low tech as we should be.

I don't have a bicycle right now. I grew up riding my bike everywhere...had one in college out in the very hilly countryside of south eastern Ohio...almost had a heart attack when a coal truck passed me going down hill on a state road once.... :D

Bicycles are beautiful!

P.S. John - we must have been posting at the same time. That "slightly photoshopped" picture is amazing! For a minute I thought we were outside Gaudi's Casa Mila in Barcelona!:2thumbs:

Wow, John, that's a great piece. There is a line beyond which image manipulation takes an image beyond the realm of photography and turns it into some other form of art. i don't know quite what its called or precisely when that line is crossed. But whatever that one is, and whichever side of the line it sits on (or straddles), I love it! Like a secret wall opening up in all of those old spy movies, but so much nicer!

-Ray

Thanks, BB and Ray. One of the things I love about digital is that it provides such wonderful material for manipulation. It seems a denial of 90% of digital photography to say that what comes out of the camera has to be the final performance. But that is a long way from bicycles. ;-)

Here's one of my favourites, taken at 4 am in Normandy three years ago:

DSCN0278web.jpg

Back