Show "Bicycle"

So you succumbed, eh? Pretty impressive little camera isn't it, John! John, you took that picture recently? Where does it look that warm these days?! Very nicely done and congratulations!:D

I have a 2nd hand/demo that the the owner of my local camera store is letting me try for a few days as the last time I only had it for a day. I talked with Don yesterday and that conversation convinced me to do so, not that I needed too much of a push. There are still some advantages on my personal and subjective list for the S95, but you certainly get more control of settings with the LX5. It does take excellent images and has other pluses going for it also. There are some good articles out on the web now comparing the pros and cons of both cameras. Bottom line is that they are both excellent and it is good to have the level of choices that exist presently.

I took that shot today and although it looks warm, it is seasonally cold here now although a little warmer than your area. Maybe I warmed the image up too much in PP. ;)

Aha, thanks for the explanation. How wonderful to be able to try out the camera like that - and I bet you can get a good price for it, too, if you decide to keep the LX5. So true both the S95 and LX5 have lots going for them.

No, you didn't warm up the picture too much, it was just such a surprise to see the flowers when it felt so cold here in NY yesterday. I actually have a neighbor whose front yard faces south and she still has petunias blooming, amazingly enough, but after last night I have a feeling they may be gone today. Outside dog/cat water bowl has ice on top of it this AM.

Stay warm, John, and keep us posted!

LX5 v S95

The MAIN/MAJOR consideration for me was the size - I just wanted a (very good) P&S that I could take with me all the time and the physical size plus no lens cap won the day for me (over the LX5) - which I'm sure is a great cam

Now Mr Lightroom can you please hurry up and support S95 RAW "out of the box"

Cheers

I don't use Lightroom, but am surprised to hear that Lightroom hasn't issued an update for the S95 raw support. Usually, it is Aperture and Apple that are behind, and the S95 raw support has been available for a few weeks with Aperture. I suspect it shouldn't be too much longer for Lightroom to catch up.

In this case, the bicycle is used as a fence... sort of.

587621w.jpg

Stratokaster, it took me a minute or two to really see this bicycle as a fence. I wonder if you hadn't mentioned it, if I'd have noticed. My eyes kept traveling from the bicycles lines and curves to the backs of those chairs and then to the water carrier. Very pretty. I apologize for missing this for so long!

My bike, at the Col de Goetzenberg on Tuesday:
P1000371x1024.jpg

Panasonic FT1, full auto (it doesn't do much else)

Interesting: I had the flash on to bring out the snowflakes, and you can see from the trails that the FT1 isn't having any of this rear-curtain stuff. Shame.

And another from several years ago:
P1000918h800.jpg

Panasonic DMC-TZ3, full auto (ditto)

John, you are a true bicyclist - out in the snow, no less! I can see the snow flakes trailing across but not as much as I think you had hoped for - hence the "the FT1 isn't having any of this rear-curtain stuff. Shame."

That second one of yours is a fine example of what one can see if one can travel light on two wheels!

Hi BB,

Well, the snow was coming thick and fast at the top of the col (which isn't much of a col, but in midwinter it's enough for me) but down below it was rain. The ride was actually great fun - I have good winter gear and lights, and I was warm all the way.

Since digital came out I've always carried a camera - my first digital, a Canon Ixus 300, even got bounced off the road once, and went on working. My Nikon 5900 travelled several thousand km in a sweaty back pocket and survived, although the plating round the lens cell began to flake off. I've also had another NIkon soaked through and recover after 24 hours in a car, which is why I got the FT1. The trouble with that, though, is that the lens window is unprotected, and gets all kind of crud on it. Wiping it with a sweaty finger or filthy winter glove isn't optimal.

No ... I was sitting in the car ready to leave and saw a shape in the wing-mirror, and by the time I got the camera out and on I managed to get two shots off (the other is on Flickr) and then he wuz gone ... I found it the other day looking through last year's catalogue for something else ... a bit of Googling suggests its likely he was part of the Bristol Bicycle Festival carnival parade - same day

Mind you it would be nice to think he just rode around like that all the time

Back