Birds Show Birds

Great Tit (Parus major)

GT_5th.jpg

GT_5th_3.jpg

Interesting, ....An American Kestrel, (Falco sparverius) ...... different colouring to the European Kestrel, (Falco tinnunculus) but of course similar as are the African and Asian relatives .. was the perch "bated" with a mouse

I believe your Cormorant is an American Darter, (Anhinga anhinga), Dale, it is a Darter with a common name of Snake-Bird, and as you indicate is related to cormorants and (shags) ... the order of Phalacrocoracidae

Here's the African Darter, (Anhinga rufa), for comparison

Darter.jpg

Last edited:
Our birdfeeders don't only attract lovely song- or gardenbirds. In winter they unfortunately(?) also attract one or two Sharpshinned Hawks (could also be Cooper's Hawks - it's really hard to tell them apart).
Guess they have to live as well - but the squirrels don't like the hawks sitting in "their" tree. (I once saw a squirrel go after a hawk, to chase the hawk away :) )

On sunday I spotted two squirrels sitting on the fence - looking worried... and of course the hawk was there again... This time I caught it with a fresh catch...

23845497014_7aa90a630d_c.jpg
Rear WIndow 01
by tilman paulin, on Flickr

23845499924_6d8e098219_b.jpg
Rear WIndow 03

23846901543_4c4ced17bd_b.jpg
Rear WIndow 02

And last from Costa Rica, a gorgeous bird: Turquoise browed Motmot. For the Aussies in the group, this is a colourful kookaburra sized bird with two vastly extended tail feathers. Not quite as common as the kookaburra though... it is amazing how these bright colours disappear into a dappled sunlit forest. All photos with the EM5 MkII, Oly 75-300 lens. Still trying to nail a good hummingbird shot....!

CM_SK_16-3.jpg

Oly EM1 and 40-150/2.8 PRO, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

View attachment 25990 Spur Winged Plover/Masked lapwing

You have these in zoos??? Colour me amazed. They are so common around here. There are two that live in my street, in fact I think most streets in the area have two pairs or more (and many territorial disputes). They are fascinating birds, and excellent parents of their babies.

Back