Birds Show Birds

resting on a cactus

It amazes me how they can land and rest apparently comfortably on the sharp quills of a cactus.

DSC02376.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Those Mallard drakes have such incredibly iridescent heads - and their wingtips are none too shabby either!

I have a thing for ducks. I'm not sure why, but I find them very endearing. Thank you Penny.:D

Ricky, although I am quite fond of your chickens and more on the previous page - these eagles are so dramatic!! I may go on an Eagle watch this week, but of course I do not have a lens to do them justice. There's something about birds of prey that have always fascinated me.

Mayank, thank you for sharing your jewel with us - the Coppersmith Barbet. He is enchanting!

birds I scared up

Some of the birds I scared up walking around in the ravine behind my Condo

DSC02569.JPG

DSC02568.JPG

This one was taking a break and just about pooped on my head as I walked under him.

DSC02499_hf.jpg

While not a bird, this monarch butterfly was flying around my head, this was the best one. really the only one in which you can tell what it is.

DSC02540.JPG

Dave, I particularly like your third photo - nice design work with those diagonal lines and the one, lone dove. I think that is a dove, yes?

Kevin, you know you're right that Robin does look like an officer! Super detail and a great image, the Commander Robin, eyeing his flock...or looking for a tasty bit? Duck hour traffic - :D! Beautiful details and great color in all three. Beer can again?

BB, that's the beercan at work again. At the long end, it is 210mm ... I've been very impressed by the detail as I'm about 20 feet away. Bird shooting is fun but requires a lot of patience.

Texascbx, I love the eagle shots .. I have yet to try birds in motion. Did you track the birds in flight with your camera or did you wait for them to come into your view?

Those eagle shots were taken with the fabled DMC-FZ50. It has a bigger sensor than any of the long zoom cams sold now so it was a special cam back in 2006 when it went on sale. I was a terrible cam for tracking because the EVF blacked out between shots and it was pure luck to track a bird for more than a couple of shots. The focus was too slow to wait on them to come into view also. One way I've found to get some good shots of BIF is to take a lot of shots and you just get some good ones by chance. The A33 blacks out the screen too, but it's just for an instant and it's usable with BIF plus it's focus is faster than the bird.

I have a G1 too and it's focus is just too slow for BIF most of the time.

Back