Show: Blown highlights

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by stillshunter, Oct 15, 2011.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I can't deny that like most others dynamic range is important to me. But, and maybe it's just the way my brain is wired, I sometimes gain sheer enjoyment out of intentionally blowing highlights - and over-stretching the limit of my digital technology. Here's one I burned on the sensor today....be really keen to know of others who share in this deviant streak, and be keen to see examples of your indulgences.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46650120@N04/6245707245/" title="Sown, grown and blown by stillshunter, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="534" alt="Sown, grown and blown"></a>

• Like Like x 7
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Agreed, Mark. Freedom of artistic expression lives on! I love that image for its intensity, drama and sheer power - plus, I think you've translated what you saw beautifully.

Here is an example of my own "blown highlights"...using the Fuji X100 on the streets of Stockbridge, Massachusetts not too long ago.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/6163899289/" title="9-11-68-Edit-Edit.jpg by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="680" alt="9-11-68-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  3. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    My head tells me this doesn't work but I like it anyway.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/6246571356/" title="untitled by Briar34, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="684" alt="untitled"></a>

Sony NEX5 and 16mm

• Like Like x 5
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/briar34/6217845884/" title="Edinburgh Fringe 2011 by Briar34, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Edinburgh Fringe 2011"></a>

E-P2 and Oly 14-150mm
    Blown out with Noir on the iPad 2

• Like Like x 6
  6. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    What I learned over on DPR that these are all junk because the highlights are blow. Yet somehow, I like them! [/sarcasm]

Here's one I've posted before. I'm sure I have LOTS more.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    Thank goodness for post processing:smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm amazed you keep taking photographs now that you've had judgment passed down from on high ...

• Like Like x 3
  9. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :rofl:

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I had a picture that I liked, granted I was brand new to digital photography, only to have someone tell me my highlights were blown... I can remember a specific picture. I still like it the way I did it back then, however at the time I did not have the courage of my convictions. Heck, I'd probably redo it in an even more contrasty way today. I know better now to stick to what I feel works best from my own point of view...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead and all that.:wink:

Great thread, Mark! I'm so pleased to see everyone's pictures - and Karen,
    - never ever listen to that head of yours!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  10. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kathy
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/54936360@N04/6246627457/" title="view from Sacre Coeur by kh1942, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1000" height="669" alt="view from Sacre Coeur"></a>

The view from Sacre Coeur in Monmartre. I blew the background on purpose because the view was crap because of the haze but I liked the feeling of being on top of the world.

X1

• Like Like x 6
  11. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Shooting into the sun - playing with a HiTech Pro 10-stopper with Nikon D90 and Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5

[​IMG]
    Tide Measuring Station at Camp Cove nht10s by peterb666, on Flickr

Even with the much greater dynamic range of the Nikon and using HDR there is no way that this was going to result in anything other than a bit of blown hightlights.

I have posted others in this series taken with the Nikon and my Olympus E-P3 in the Show Clouds Sunrise/Sunset thread.

• Like Like x 3
  12. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    What a refreshing sight to wake to in the morning. There was not a shot amongst them that didn't speak to me in some way...It's reassuring to see others who not only like to defy the dictum "Obey thy histrogram" but intentionally see pictures beyond the 0 to 255 scale. Also noticed that I, and a few others, blocked their shadows too! Tsk, Tsk! :bravo-009:

Please keep them coming....and viva liberty!

• Like Like x 1
  13. akulya

akulya SC Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
  14. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Took the words right out of my mouth, well said. Being a baby boomer myself I still have abit (okay alot) of the 60's still in me. Sort of a non conformist type person, hating rules and going my own way, and especially not caring to
    listen to people who are great judge of a photos. It is what it is! You are what you are!

My early photo website xp was all about judging and cirtique. Luckily there are a very few sites like SC where on can come and explore his
    craft with freedom to do as he or she sees fit. And we seem to do a pretty good job of being patience, helpful and all that good stuff. Thats the one major reason Im here. That and BB asked me over...haha... cheers all. Pete

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  15. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Bravo. Great shot and great mood.

16. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    • Like Like x 4
  17. jhowell39

jhowell39 SC Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    norcal
    Jim
  18. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    jhowl, thats too cool! it reminds me of that old cartoon movie, about this lil girl named dot who gets shrunk in australia

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I agree, there's 'technically "correct" exposures'...
    And then there's 'whatever you "like" the image to look like' :)

Looking through my photos it looks like I'm usually a bit contrastier in B&W than with color... But found some color ones too:

[​IMG]
    x files by tilman paulin, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    morning dew by tilman paulin, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    bluebells by tilman paulin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  20. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Great thread with wonderful examples!

Here's my contribution, from a recent picnic, shooting into the sun:

[​IMG]

NEX3 + MINOLTA 45mm f2.0

And an oldie with my phone:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/6060731318/" title="2011 08 19 - 183354 by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">[​IMG]"600" height="600" alt="2011 08 19 - 183354"></a>

• Like Like x 3