Show "Dandelions"

Discussion in 'Nature' started by stillshunter, Mar 12, 2011.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    C'mon we all have ventured to snap a dandelion puff or two in our day. You know the one, the classic "here's how good my macro/close-up is" shot. Well here's a chance to bring them out to see the light of day.

Well I confess to never tiring of the patterns and textures of our natural world - and I think the puff-balls are quite the phenomenon. So here's one to kick us off....taken with the Sigma DP2s and AML-1 close-up filter. Simple B+W conversion.

Obligatory dandelion shot by stillshunter, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Just wait several weeks

GRD2
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/2438570634/" title="R0010117 by meaning_of_light, on Flickr"> 2438570634_ee54bc034b_b. "768" height="1024" alt="R0010117" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Here's a couple from last year, Panasonic G1 with 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you Mark for starting this thread on the ubiquitous dandelion! Yours reminds me of a geodesic dome - although much more etherial. We don't have any dandelions, yet, we've just hit crocus stage. I promise to take a photograph when they emerge.:biggrin:

As much as many consider them weeds, they do have such sunny dispositions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    And seem to be very widely distributed, something else I've learnt through this forum :smile:

Barrie

6. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Agree wholeheartedly with you BB. They do have a nice effect on the viewer. I especially like their 'gone to seed' form. It takes me back to a childhood where you could not help but rejoice in the act of blowing them and watching the heads catch the light as they scattered through the air. I suppose each of us is a little responsible for the spread of them then :redface: Though what an excellent evolutionary mechanism....the one's that appeal to curious children the most, thrive, globally!

So I wouldn't consider them a weed, just utterly successful. Though they do sometimes get in the way of butterflies....as this random photo demonstrates :wink:

4527174646_7187b312d7_z.
    Heavy Butterfly? by stillshunter, on Flickr