1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show "Garden"

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by Herman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  2. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    the grass at the front on the bottom right needs cutting

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hardly a garden at all

I might have a cottage in the country, but I've not really got a garden, which is a pity because it would be nice to have my own nature reserve, so the border I have that was overgrown with shrubs has been partially cleared and seeded with wildflower seeds. Both shots with a Panasonic GF1 and 20mm, f/1.7 lens.

This is the cleared and seeded section

This bit still has to be cleared of old shrub stumps and an almost complete cover of Ivy, which has surprisingly succumbed to chemical treatment.

So watch this space and hopefully in a few weeks time there should be Cornflower, Corn Cockle, Poppy and other wild plants in flower (hopefully).

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Can you believe that Bill? Herman post an image like that....
    geeze....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Bill and Barrie for your replies!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    a bit of a dull "old day" today - hottish, v windy with now and again sun

started on a couple of "raised" beds for my wife - plus picked our first "yellow" courgette, (I'm saving the Z word for the A to Z thread - just to get my mention in now)

The courgette is a "crop" - excuse the "pun"

The things in galvanised "buckets" are tomatoes and peppers

A visit to my local déchèterie, tomorrow with my remorque will get me a load of free compost which I hope will fill the beds

[​IMG]

I know the "old stone bench" needs a straighten - maybe tomorrow!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Cleaning up after installing a new planter box. In order to make room for the planter box we had to pull up another plant. My son just could not stand the idea of that so he required that we transplant it. Sadly, I don't think it will survive. Future tree hugger?

p1072840322.

Washing of a tiny celery root plant. With overzealous energy to eat what they've grown the kids often pull up plants before they are ready.

p1034567943.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  9. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Progress?

Bills bumping this thread reminded me that I intended to take some updated photographs, so I went outside and quickly grabbed these. A neighbour asked me the other day which were the plants and which were weeds. I replied that since the plants were all wild flowers and the like I suppose some would regard them as all weeds. This is the progress since my initial posting.

Now I know that I planted a wild bird attracting mix, but I did at least expect some flowers before the wild birds were attracted, but no such luck. Some time ago I posted this shot of a Wood Pigeon (on the bird thread) with an evil glint and intent in its eye

Well the result is some considerable damage to this plant, and most like it

Many of the leaves have been reduced to mere stalks thanks to the continued attention from Wood Pigeons and the growing tips bitten out. Only one plant seems to have survived relatively unscathed.

This one, which I think might be a Teasel, if it hasn't been damaged such that it doesn't produce a seed head.

In the meantime House Sparrows are attacking the developing buds on many other plants, only the poppies seem to be unscathed at the moment. If I get any blooms I'll post the results, things look a little dodgy at the moment :frown:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  10. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    He he, I remember when I was about your sons age I used to pull up my Fathers onions every day and he replanted them every evening. He used to say that that year he had the best onions ever :biggrin:

Barrie

11. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I can't even grow weeds!!!!!!

My wildflower (weed?) border is now attracting another visitor who is intent on doing damage.

A Bank Vole, looks innocent enough doesn't it, hmm, while I was watching it it ventured into the border and pretended to be a Beaver, a plant shook for about 10-15 seconds and then over it went.

Will I ever see any flowers?

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  12. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Barrie, looks like you got a nature reserve, but not the kind you were expecting!

• Like Like x 2
  13. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Well I would like my own nature reserve, so far I've got a very small one, but at least I can manage it on my own :smile:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I think it's very unfair that these little marauders are so cute! I'm sorry for your losses, Barrie.

We have a groundhog living in our midst...and I believe he relies on at least two other neighbors for his foraging.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    That's nature :smile:

Barrie

16. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    view from (Toilet) window

Hot today - getting to 30C

sunbath or garden?

light "too bright" for (my) photography?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    With that sort of temperature it's a pint of cider and find somewhere in the shade.

Barrie

18. Ha that is nothing. Come over to the American southwest and do it in 43 degrees or 110 Fahrenheit then talk about not wanting to garden.

19. We had a similar intruder last summer. Very destructive.

20. Irenaeus

Irenaeus SC Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Delane's garden

Delane is a near neighbor and addicted to irises. We went over the other night with the GXR and made these photos of part of his garden, part of his view and one of his thousand or so beautiful flowers.

https://www.photographerslounge.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2868&title=delane-27s-view&cat=500

https://www.photographerslounge.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2869&title=delane-27s-garden&cat=500

https://www.photographerslounge.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2869&title=delane-27s-garden&cat=500