Animals Show "Horses"

That's not a grump at you by the way :)
;)

It's only tolerated for traditional use... In former times farmers removed the tales for some practical reasons...

SAM-2616.jpg

Taken at Burghley Horse Trials. I also went the year before with a Canon 5D. This year I took the Panasonic GH2 and Ricoh GRD3 and all my gear fitted in a modest camera bag. Half the bag had my gear and the other half had my sandwiches etc. Must admit I felt quite smug with my gear - especially when I saw the official photographers with full frame Nikons and huge lenses. They mostly carried 2 cameras each and they looked a right royal pain to cart around. Even the monopods they used were monsters - looked like they were made out of scaffold poles! I made do with 2 manual lenses - a Yashica 35-105mm and a Canon FD 200mm. Both produced shots that were as good as what I got with the 5D and a EF 200mm F2.8L lens.

6138095606_7f70504250_b.jpg

hungry horse by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

6138042000_e9a121895c_b.jpg

Burghley Horse Trials by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

Taken at Burghley Horse Trials. I also went the year before with a Canon 5D. This year I took the Panasonic GH2 and Ricoh GRD3 and all my gear fitted in a modest camera bag. Half the bag had my gear and the other half had my sandwiches etc. Must admit I felt quite smug with my gear - especially when I saw the official photographers with full frame Nikons and huge lenses. They mostly carried 2 cameras each and they looked a right royal pain to cart around. Even the monopods they used were monsters - looked like they were made out of scaffold poles! I made do with 2 manual lenses - a Yashica 35-105mm and a Canon FD 200mm. Both produced shots that were as good as what I got with the 5D and a EF 200mm F2.8L lens.

6138095606_7f70504250_b.jpg

hungry horse by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

6138042000_e9a121895c_b.jpg

Burghley Horse Trials by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

Looks like a good range, the first one is really nice. Caught the horse in a non-typical pose.

I'm really enjoying everyone's photos! Yes, I'm a horse lover from way back but it's more than that... I love the different sides of horses, no pun intended Nuskyn, and the styles each of you has brought to bear.

OOOooo! I must know how you achieved the whole image! I think this is fantastic, flysurfer - love it!

Oh, that's a rather simple process involving inexpensive software:

OOC JPEG with standard settings:
View attachment 44215

OOC JPEG with optimized settings, redone in-camera RAW conversion
View attachment 44216

JPEG after minor adjustments in iPhoto
View attachment 44217

JPEG after sharpening, denoising and BW conversion with Topaz, with a manual color key brush for the eye
View attachment 44218

JPEG after recolorization with Analog (USD 7.99)
View attachment 44219

Final JPEG with filmstrip frame
View attachment 44220

Well, it may seem simple to you but those are quite a few steps to me - however, the outcome was definitely worth it - especially in that larger original version, flysurfer. That filmstrip frame reminds me of the olden days. I really like that picture a great deal.

You can also get that filmstrip with Flare. It's in one of their presets, but also available by itself as one of their textures. I highly, highly recommend Flare and it is very inexpensive. Unfortunately tho it is Mac only.

You can also get that filmstrip with Flare. It's in one of their presets, but also available by itself as one of their textures. I highly, highly recommend Flare and it is very inexpensive. Unfortunately tho it is Mac only.

Flare's strip looks different and is a texture that introduces dust and dirt on the pic, which might not always be welcome. It also exhibits white perforation holes:

View attachment 44231

Back