Bugs Show 'Insect'

Azure Damselfly

One from earlier this morning, Panasonic G1 with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit, this lens is really too limited in focal length for subjects such as this, so I was lucky to be able to get this close.
Image given minimal post processing in Bibble Pro 5 and has not been cropped.

1010139.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

A rather challenging day for insects

It wasn't particularly warm this morning, so the insects weren't very flighty, but they did have to be searched for, and there was a rather gusty breeze that made it a little difficult also. After lunch it was warmer, but they were actually more difficult to photograph then (nothing to do with the pint of cider I had with my lunch!).

All the photographs were taken with a Panasonic G1 and 105mm, f/2.8 Sigma DG Macro, minimal post processing in Bibble Pro 5 and no cropping of the image from the camera.

1010168_1.jpg

1010174.jpg

This female Broad-bodied Chaser was hiding in the undergrowth and was still there some 90 minutes later.

1010155.jpg

A Large-red Damselfly

1010180_1.jpg

A Blue-tailed Damselfly

1010187_1.jpg

A mating pair of Damselflies

Barrie

Barrie, I've been thinking about you lately and waiting to see what you'd been up to - so many thanks for these! You are so used to seeing these creatures that you may not realize that not everyone here has the opportunities that you do. Fascinating and fantastic close-ups!

Scorpion Fly

One more from yesterday that I forgot to post at the time. This is a male scorpion fly, again no common English name, so to you and me it's Panora cognata. Taken with a Panasonic G1 and 105mm, f/2.8 Sigma DG Macro, a tripod was used given that these guys tend to skulk in shaded areas, this shot was at f/11, 1/20 second, iso 200. As is usual with me there was minimal post processing in Bibble Pro 5 and the image was not cropped.

1010162.jpg

Barrie

The insects came to me

Last night I ran my moth trap here at home, not a very big catch, it was clear and at little cool early in the night, not ideal, then it clouded over and got a little warmer, which is better, but the wind also increased, which is not better.

Anyway here a a couple of the more photogenic captures taken indoors (there's low cloud and a hint of drizzle outside), both with a Panasonic G1 and 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit, minimal post processing in Bibble Pro 5 and no cropping of the image from the camera.

1010216.jpg

A male Pale Tussock moth

1010218.jpg

A Buff Arches moth. There is no damage to this moth although it looks as though part of it is missing, its colouration and structure are perfectly normal. This species is one of the more photogenic ones in my opinion.

Barrie

Here's something a bit more mundane, but I don't know what it is ...

Hi,
I know it looks rather moth like, but it is actually a butterfly, it's a Large Skipper, soon to be joined by the Small Skipper which flies about two or three weeks later and thus overlaps this ones flight season. The Small Skipper is only fractionally smaller but has plainer markings, the black diagonal bar, which is actually the area of a scent gland is present in the Small Skipper, but the wings are plainer orange than this guy.

Barrie

Barrie, that Scorpion Fly looks as though he could do some damage - what does he prey upon with that deadly weapon onboard?

The moths are exquisite, as always Barrie, as is your Large Skipper, Paul.

Barrie, that Scorpion Fly looks as though he could do some damage - what does he prey upon with that deadly weapon onboard?

Hi BB,
It's only the male that has the tail resembling a scorpion and it houses the reproductive organs, so no threat to other insects from that end of the beast. What you can't see is a quite long and strong beak that points down below its head. It eats other insects, although mainly dead ones, so perhaps it's a bit of a wimp. It is said to be able to remove insects from spiders webs. They tend to dislike sunshine and so skulk in shaded areas.
The male is under some threat from a female that he might be attracted to, so to placate her and prevent her from eating him he offers her some of his saliva to eat before and during mating. It really is a strange world out there.

Barrie

Back