1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show "Panoramic Photos"

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Armanius, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Using the sweep panorama feature on the Sony NEX3 ...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/armanius/5279177525/" title="Capitol Hill -- panorama sweep shot with NEX-3 by Armanius, on Flickr"> 5279177525_a698f77a1a_b. "1024" height="232" alt="Capitol Hill -- panorama sweep shot with NEX-3" /></a>

Sony NEX-3 + 18-55/F3.5-5.6 (E-mount)

• Like Like x 9
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Armanius - thanks so much for this! Unfortunately, I have never tried a panoramic picture. I know Peter has - PeterB666, that is. Perhaps he'll add some in here. I know he has them in several of the other image threads.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I have to get it into my thick head that the Nex does this. When I had the A33 for a few days, I played around with it and was impressed. Now I have a Nex and today I was up at the top of the highest building in our town taking some shots and I completely forgot about that capability. Perfect opportunity to use it too. I'm not into panoramas enough to really get into the pan-head and stitching and everything. But the science fiction way the Sony's handle all of this in camera is enough to get me to do the occasional panorama, since you don't really have to do anything!

If I could only remember...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mine

I did these one of the first times out with my camera:

DSC00762.JPG

DSC00740.JPG

DSC00741_hf.

DSC00739_hf.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Thanks BB. I haven't done a panorama for around a month but will do one again within the next few weeks. My panoramas are generally seascapes and I am taking part in a 52/2011 challenge with the aim to add a little variety in my work. Most of the time I have been shooting with my Nikon D90 and will only post those shots here if it is coupled with one of my smaller lenses otherwise I get a bit guilty that my "serious compact" isn't exactly compact. If the combo fits in the same small bag as my E-P1 and Voigtlander 25mm - ah - small enough.

One thing to note about seascapes and panoramas is that it is very difficult to stitch moving water, especially if there are well defined waves. A lot of editing is required to smooth the transitions. Also, shooting at dawn and dusk can be difficult as the light changes so quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    One I took of my farm in Essex a while back

GRD2

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/2258474453/" title="Essex pasture by meaning_of_light, on Flickr"> 2258474453_4fd4b17375_b. "1024" height="294" alt="Essex pasture" /></a>

• Like Like x 4
  7. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    I have not done much here but I love a nice panaramic shot. Here's my attempt. Cant remember
    what camera I used, but it's the only one I have on file. Thanks all. Cheers

hawaii2_resized.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  8. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Will, can we become your caretakers? My Shetland Sheepdog, my husband and I would be very responsible and enjoy chatting with Basil, too.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I only have the one! Must do more.

Botley, Surrey, UK
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/4692724551/" title="Botley_Pano_1024 by andywest1, on Flickr">"1024" height="281" alt="Botley_Pano_1024" /></a>

• Like Like x 5
  10. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Most excellent!! The image lets the eye follow the bridge from left to right, great stuff!!!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Here are a couple of panoramas that I shot early in the new year but have only just got around to stitching together. Both were rather tricky as they were shot in narrow lanes and I have to move the camera as close as parallel as I could to the subject. A lot of geometric adjustment was required to get a satisfactory stitch and then some minor compromise distortion control in the final stitched image.

5433365988_97a1f5429e_b.
    May Lane Panorama by peterb666, on Flickr

5432754747_e7060295ab_b.
    May Lane Panorama 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

Both were shot in landscape mode to start with as I wasn't after ultra fine detail. They were composed of 4 and 5 landscape images respectively. Lens corrections and stitching done in Adobe Photoshop CS5. There are larger versions on my Flickr site.

• Like Like x 7
  13. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Very commendable of you to do it the 'old fashioned' skilful way instead of just letting the camera do the work:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    One of my favourites: I call this one Going Places
    [​IMG]
    Nikon 5900, handheld

And the best one I've done to date: The view from Loewenstein Castle in the Vosges du Nord
    [​IMG]
    If you want to wallow in it at 4284x1000, click the above. There's another castle in it.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Superb images PeterB666

Another from me. It's Pano-sort-off

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/5431156236/" title="Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 MkII by andywest1, on Flickr">"1024" height="521" alt="Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 MkII" /></a>

• Like Like x 5
  16. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Took these with the auto panorama on my A33

From the back pasture.

p62114449-5.

From my back porch.

p352535403-5.

From the east back corner of our place.

p520583542-5.

From the other back corner.

p25081628-5.

Taken from the John Deere box at Texas Stadium.

p797341662-5.

• Like Like x 5
  17. intense

intense SC Regular

Sep 11, 2010
    ALEX0975.JPG

That's my try. I switched some colours just for fun I actually I liked the result more than the original photo :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks so much - you guys are really making me wonder if my little LX5 has a magic button for this panoramic mode. I know I'd never be able to follow in Peter's old fashioned stitching footsteps.

Great pictures! Intense, good to see you here again - you've been missed. Yours definitely has a sort of "Outer Limits" (think scifi if you don't know the old TV show), albeit a colorized version.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    So what techniques are y'all using to get panoramas? I've never tried one before. I have a feeling I should before I visit Morocco.

• Like Like x 1
  20. It is a lot easier than it sounds, stitching is done automatically in software, I just correct distortions and level the images first. This helps prevent some of the crazy auto stitching angles you get when trying to work with more than 3 or 4 frames.

Here is a 5-frame panorama shot with my Olympus E-P1 and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens...

5437708732_062f72754f_b.
    Fishing in the Rain - Lurline Bay Panorama (ov) by peterb666, on Flickr

Made from 5 landscape images. I think the aperture was set to around f/11 to get a fair depth of field. This is an early morning shot and exposure times vary between 0.5 and 1.6 seconds depedning where the sun is in each frame. Balancing for light levels was done before stitching as was straightening.

• Like Like x 2