Show "Winter"

Discussion in 'Nature' started by summerkl, Nov 21, 2010.

1. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    It's getting cold out there - only serious photographers will brave the temperatures:biggrin:

I'll start with a scene of an early Vancouver scene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot with Sony Nex-3 and Helios 44m

• Like Like x 8
  2. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    The snow has already melted and gone so you have to grab that shot while it's there.

[​IMG]

Taken by my father-in-law with his Canon a720.

• Like Like x 7
  3. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Great pictures, all of them. The last one is like a Christmas card :smile: How cold does it get in Vancouver?

4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Agreed. All three have both the sunlight and the snow - super in color and very realistic looking. Kevin, that first one - the view, where was that taken? And your father-in-law's...the snow covered tennis courts amidst those beautiful trees... Is that a sign about the tennis courts that appears to have a wooden horses's head as part of it, or is my imagination at work? I love the sunlight on the snow - your closeup of the leaf is also very nice. You do so well with your NEX with that "Helios". Perhaps Helios has borrowed some strength from the sun god?:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Winter here tends to be wet and windy, and if we get any snow, a very rare occurrence, it is also wet and horrible, that's what comes of living in the otherwise mild south west, so you've a challenge here. Winter hasn't really arrived yet, although it is forecast to be colder by the end of the week with the possibility of frost. Being so near the coast that will clear early, so have to get up and get out early, what a way to challenge a guy.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  6. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    winter means keeping warm

Yee, cracked it

[​IMG]
    Panasonic G1 with 45mm f/2.8 Leica Elmarit, iso 100, f/8, 1 sec

Yes ok, I suppose you'll still make me go out in the cold, well watch this space then, but no promises :biggrin:

Barrie

• Like Like x 5
  7. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    Barrie, well played :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    I admit I am not brave enough right now. It is my -10 Celsius or 14 Fahrenheit. Following Barrie's lead, I should post a photo of my cup of hot chocolate :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    What a difference location makes, eh? We've been a bit too warm for November here in south eastern New York. It's about 44 Fahrenheit here. I like the cold as long as it's sunny.

10. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    As long as we can all have a cup. The forecast for Saturday here looks pretty cold, so maybe I'll get a wintery photograph to post, although it's most likely to be a frosty sort of one, hopefully from the lane up from my cottage, then I can get back in the warm quickly, although the wind is also going to be strong so I'll have to find somewhere sheltered. (far too many commas in that sentence, never mind).

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  11. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    No snow but there was a very frosty night today is sunny but very cold took this shot for my Blipfoto in colour but had a go at B&W.
    Not sure if either works to be honest but I wasn't parked in a very good place so couldn't hang around.:frown:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47249223@N08/5204430184/" title="Winter Tree? by penipics, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="371" alt="Winter Tree?" /></a>

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    I'm with Penny on this one....

As we live literally only 10 minutes apart...:smile:, the rest of Northern UK seems to be in the grip of lots of snow.... here in Liverpool, we are just experiencing heavy frosts, so I thought I would get out with my LX5 and take a few shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mal.

• Like Like x 5
  13. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Although I am officially not ready for winter - nor snow - I am very appreciative of this thread.

Penny, you must give us a link to your blipfoto so we can compare and contrast. Why not add it to your signature? Let me know if I can help. Which camera did you use for this - the S95? It looks cold!

Mal, love that silhouette in your first, but I have to say your color shots are wonderful. Remind me what "PP" software you use?

I can't believe you all already are in the throes of winter - or those north of you are. I guess I need to revisit my globe.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Winter finally arrives in the form of snow in south Devon

I did promise I would come out from sitting in front of my fire, well I got up this morning to get ready to go off to my Doctor's appointment only to find snow on the ground, doctor snowed in and a hastily rearranged appointment for later this morning, so I was only able to take some quick shots of the lane outside my cottage.
    Considering the lens is wide open it's not too bad a shot.

[​IMG]
    Panasonic GF1 with 15mm, f/4.5 Super Heliar at iso 100, 1/30 second, f/4.5

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  15. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Mal, I like your fence shot - nice composition and great lines.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    Sorry Mal Barrie and BB have missed a few entries on this thread what with trying to find 'shots' for Blip its driving me mad!

• Like Like x 2
  17. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    The snow has even reached Bordeaux - never usually snows and particularly not in December - but I looked out of the window this morning and saw the following:

We live in the "country" out here but have "decamped" to Bordeaux for a few months while the builders "knock the house to pieces"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Venturing further from my fire

I did venture further from the warmth of my fire on this snowy morning (well snowy for south Devon).

[​IMG]
    Panasonic GF1 with Voigtlander 15mm, f/4.5 at f/8
    The water issuing from the hole in the wall is the overflow from the spring that provides the water supply for most of the village

[​IMG]
    A proper Devon lane, this is about 200 metres from my cottage

[​IMG]
    A view south from the high ground above my village, behind me is the carriage road built some 1000 years ago for the daughter of King Canute to link the royal estates of Chillington and West Alvington.

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  19. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    Here's some more of near me this one is the church opposite my flats.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47249223@N08/5237476891/" title="Hoar Frost Church by penipics, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="814" alt="Hoar Frost Church" /></a>
    I just love the frost covered Berries.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47249223@N08/5238069658/" title="Hoar Frost more Berries by penipics, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Hoar Frost more Berries" /></a>
    Taken with my trusty CanonS95.

• Like Like x 4
  20. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 SC Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    The bridge over the creek from Lower Yosemite Falls, about 3 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5