Feedback Shutting down threads in the *watering hole*???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't Macs Personal Computers?

"A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator"

I presume your remarks are aimed at me ?

Arguing the irreconcilable is very very boring, it's a form of unacknowledged trolling, and serves only to inflame rather than inform. At least threads about this-lens-vs-that-lens have some pretence of being useful ...

Yeah, I've always felt that PC should apply to Macs too, just like a Dodge/Mercedes/Toyota/whatever is a car...

Now I'm off to google vituperative...

Sue, let me be clear that I did not close the thread because of anything you did. It wasn't closed because of any one thing that anybody said. The thread was starting to take on a tone of argumentativeness. Maybe in some people's minds that shouldn't be enough to close a thread.

I'll admit to moderating a bit too actively at times, but at the heart of it is my great displeasure of reading through threads that boil over and I feel like closing threads keeps things from boiling over.

I don't see the harm in having closed a thread topic that is so well worn out that people actually joke about it. It's a shame that people can't discuss the various different operating systems without people needing to chime in to defend their own personal choice or put down other people's choices.

And I have no dog in this fight. The first Apple I ever bought died after 2 years. Having paid the premium to own "the best" didn't work out too well for me. I've been using machines using Microsoft OS ever since then, and frankly, they suck out loud, too. All the machines are effing garbage. We can land a man on the moon, but we can't build a simple computer with a pleasing easy to use interface that lasts 6 years.

And worse yet, we'll sit behind our monitors and keypads and fire off missives about which garbage system is waaaaaayyyyyy better than the other one.

Yes it gets boring. And in the end I don't think any of it really helps anyone make up their mind which one might be the right one for him/her.

When I close a thread, it's not to censor anyone. It's meant to re-direct the whole group to do something more positive. Share an image. Go take some new shots.

I'm taking a break. Something about mountains and molehills probably applies here.... to me and to others.

I'll honor that request. There's not much that needs to be said about the topic.

For everyone who is upset with a specific moderating action, I often get private messages from others who thank me for keeping the peace. Keep in mind that a moderator needs to moderate and that usually means going roughly down the middle. So our decisions will not always please everyone. But hopefully, it will keep the group better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back