Sigma 19mm

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
I recently acquire the Sigma 19mm for NEX and I've now written up a short review on my blog with some sample shots.

My conclusion: "for $200 this lens is great value for a very good lens. If you already have the 16mm you might decide to give this lens a miss. If you don't, having used both, I would recommend the 19mm over the 16mm. Apart from the (for me) more comfortable size and better image quality, I also find the focal length a little more useful for a prime."

Thanks for the review and samples, Olli!

I'm following both Sigmas and from what I have seen so far, 30 seems to be great. I've seen less from 19, so your opinion comes really handy, as I like 35mm equivalent FL I would get on my Nex3. It seems somewhat better than Sony's 16.

I would love to hear your comparison between them, once your 30 arrives. I've seen that some shops in Germany have them both for 199 euros a piece.

Do you happen to have a picture of lens mounted on your Nex?

Nice review Olli! I must say that I was one of the people that originally yawned when these two lenses were announced. But I'm starting to think that they might actually be quite useful, particularly for the NEX. Not so much for m4/3.

Thanks. I can certainly post a picture of lens and camera here. I didn't bother because I assumed here would be plenty out there already but apparently not. I'll try to put something together later today and post it.

I agree that these make more sense on NEX that M43. I assume Sigma reasoned that NEX was a better bet given that M43 already has a good selection of native lenses. (And also given that similar lenses are going to be used on Sigma's upcoming DP's). My own view is that for $200 each there's not much reason not to get these. I also did a quick calculation that you could get a NEX5N body, these two Sigma lenses and the SEL50 (if it ever turns up) for not much more than you would spend on the Zeiss 24 alone!

Thanks for the review, Olli. It is a bit odd that it was Sigma who was the first to cover these two such useful prime focal lengths for the NEX, but there you go. The 19mm would be more suitable for me than Sony's own 16mm which is a little wide (at that focal length I'd prefer an UWA zoom instead). I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 30mm when it arrives. A few mu-43ers have purchased these two lenses in the Micro 4/3 mount and have delivered similarly positive reviews, but as has been mentioned the focal lengths weren't primarily designed with the Micro 4/3 sensor in mind, and in the case of the 19/2.8 it is up against some VERY stiff competition from from the Panasonic 20/1.7 which is more expensive but not ridiculously so and obviously a lot faster. f/2.8 seems fine for a ~28mm equivalent on an APS-C sensor, but my feeling is that it would have been nicer for the 30mm to have been at least a stop faster.

Regardless, the availability of both new Sigma lenses actually makes a NEX camera look a lot more attractive.

This is the 19mm on my NEX5.

P1030230.JPG

I just got my 35mm sigma

it's a great lens (though i still have to test it more, waiting for better weather to come)

The speed is decent and i love the autofocus ring (nice & smooth)

The box it comes in is nice too ;)

Thanks, Olli. I have bookmarked your page. I especially like the entry about sharpness, and the preoccupation with it.

Thanks Dan, glad you like it. I'm in Munich at the minute and spotted a Sony SEL50 so I've now acquired that too. I think I'll be doing a short write up on that one some time next week.

You mean the 30mm? or the 19mm?

oops sorry my bad the 30mm

I also got the 50mm just this (matter of fact i got more lenses this week for my nex then i did in 2 years)

the nex 50mm is great, esp for a nice bokeh and low light
the 30mm will be great for general use and the 55-210 i also acquired is for some slight telezooming of course

When Sigma announced the 19mm and 30mm lenses for M43 and NEX the forum 'experts' delivered their thoughtful and insightful verdict - 'boring' 'yawn' 'too slow' 'too big' and more in the same vein.

Thanks for your excellent review, Olli. I was one of the people who dismissed the two Sigma lenses, but only for Micro Four Thirds, and even there only because of the focal lengths, not speed or size. For Sony NEX, both lenses make good sense, especially considering their price. For MFT too, I think my initial dismissive reaction was incorrect. The 19mm may be a better choice than the Pana 20 for many people because of the AF speed, lack of noise, and most of all price. I personally find 30mm to be an odd focal length to work with on MFT, but many people enjoy it, just as many enjoyed 60mm lenses on 135 format. Overall, it's good to see Sigma bringing out these lenses. Hopefully there will be more to follow!

Didn't have people on this forum in mind (as if!). More a couple of the more 'popular' forums out there. And certainly there's a different set of issues to think about for M43.

The choice of focal lengths makes sense in the context of Sigma's plans for the DP range, but I'm hoping Sigma comes up with some more options for us in this kind of price/quality range. An affordable 24 would be very nice.

Sigma 19mm is very nice model i have also this model at my home it is very good and latest model and have a good result.

Back