1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma dp2m sensor/image size question

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    On the sigma website the file size from the DP range is over 4700pixels on the widest edge x 3, does this mean that the image wIll come lut at 14100+pixels or will it stay at4700mp and if so how can they say it's a. 46mp camera?

Thanks

2. chelimbonod

chelimbonod SC Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    The exact figures are 4704 x 3136 = 14.75 megapixels. That's exactly how many pixels you will see on a computer screen. But, those are pristine pixels, not the interpolated "fudged" pixels like in normal cameras. You can compare Sigma Foveon resolutions with other cameras by multiplying the number of megapixels by some number. Here are the numbers I use:

Top-end Bayer filter cameras with top-end lenses:

14.75 megapixels x 1.5 = 22.05 megapixels, compared to Nikon D800E at 36.15 megapixels.

Mid-level Bayer filter cameras with top-end lenses:

14.75 megapixels x 2 = 29.4 megapixels, compared to an average semi-pro quality SLR.

Enthusiast-level Bayer filter cameras:

14.75 megapixels x 3 = 44.1 megapixels, compared to an average enthusiast compact camera like a Canon S100.

Basically, the Sigma Merrill compacts are better than many pro and intermediate SLR cameras, partly because of the fixed lens. That's only true as long as you're working within the narrow limitations of the Foveon sensor with no high ISO, leisurely slow photography, etc.

If you already have a Nikon D3100 and a FujiFilm X100, I think you will be impressed by the detail captured by the compact Sigma DP1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill cameras. The X100 is a good camera, but it's not in the same league. Only your Nikon D3100 will be able to compare respectably well with the Sigmas. They say the Sigmas don't do well at high ISO, but at ISO 800, they look better to me than the D3100.

3. chelimbonod

chelimbonod SC Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    I found this, you can compare for yourself:

Sigma SD1 / SD1 Merrill In-depth Review: Digital Photography Review

It looks like the D3100 isn't quite in the same league either. I have to select the D5100 to get close, and it's still not as detailed as the Sigma SD1, which has the same sensor as the DP1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill (which have better fixed lenses).

4. digi2ap

digi2ap SC Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Stratford, London
    Thanks for linking to this. I also think it is not only the clarity of details but also the absence of base ISO noise in any of the coloured parts of the scene.

5. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    looking at this I'm particularly impressed by the detail in the fabric just to the right of Pluto's head (the Disney cartoon dog).
    Especially the dark green areas... that's really nice detail...

6. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Those samples are quite convincing for the base ISO detail capture of the Merrill sensor! This confirms some of the real world details I have seen in Flickr Merrill group pictures.

7. digi2ap

digi2ap SC Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Stratford, London
    Yes, great spot Tilman. Look also to the left of Pluto's head at the coin where you can see horizontal and vertical details. Several other cameras produce moire when trying to resolve this area.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Thanks everyone, it certainly looks very interesting. We should be getting them in stock soon so if we can get a demo unit out i will be able to have a play.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    nice! Please let us know what your findings are then :)

(I'm still on the fence if I should continue with the Sigmas or change systems at some point. I love what you can get out of them. But the inconsistent colors and some other quirks sometimes drive me crazy :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. chelimbonod

chelimbonod SC Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
  11. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Haha, true :)

12. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I really like your flickeflu shots. I see only a couple at high ISO. Yes, grainy at 3200, but work in B&W as if a pushed Tri-X from the film days. do you expect the Merrill versions to perform much better? Will you upgrade?

13. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thank you Dan!
    I expect the Merills will be somewhat better at high ISO. But that's not my main concern really (since as you said, I don't shoot a lot of high ISO... although sometimes it would come handy :)

I guess I'll have to try the new ones in a shop or somehow, to see how they handle (with their bigger size/weight and the different shutter release button). The current ones with a Franiec grip are near perfect - even for one handed handling (in my opinion).

The tricky part will be to wait until the end of 2012 before I make a decision. There's already so many interesting cameras announced. And some more will follow at Photokina I'm sure... And with my funds being limited I can't have them all... :-D

So I'll keep using the old ones for a bit longer... After all I'm doing ok with them :)

cheers,
    Tilman

• Like Like x 1