1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma DP3M Sample Photos Now Online

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    wow, the textures it renders really make me drool:eek: wish I could afford to spend lots of money on not-particularly-versatile cameras!

• Like Like x 1
  3. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Usual Sigma sharpness, but it will be harder to hand hold at lower iso's with longer range... Too bad they didn't do one DP with interchangeable mount so we can use faster lenses...

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Wow, that pixel level detail is impressive.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, if the indoor and low light focus is as bad as the rest of the DP series then I think I'll pass.

I loved my DP2s ... when I was able to get autofocus to work or when I manually focused. The handful of reviews of the new DPM cameras that I've read suggest AF is still an issue. I just wish Sigma could figure out the secret sauce for better autofocus with the DP cameras.

6. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Someone over at rff said the dp2 and 1 Merrill's were a bit faster than the dp2, if I remember correctly. The dp2m is the first foveon sensor camera I have ever owned. I find it somewhere between te first and second firmware update of the Fuji x100 in terms of af speed. Low light af is not as good as the Fuji..

I been wondering if it is a CPU related issue as opposed to algo. That is a lot of info to process if there is no hw assist. Contrast detection af runs in a repeative loop style to narrow down to acceptable focus.

Gary

7. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Wow. Now that's why I love the Foveon.

8. jhowell39

jhowell39 SC Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    norcal
    Jim
    these are just stunning images.....
    a DP3M, DP2M and X100S would make a pretty decent kit, I'd say..........:biggrin:

9. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Images look great, I'd just be worried about usability in the real world.

You probably need a high shutter speed to prevent camera shake with a resolution that high and a slight tele focal length, so in anything but bright light it's going to be compromised for hand-held shooting.
    At least for color, with the new B/W SPP you're probably fine going to ISO3200 which will help a lot.

10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Nice nice nice ... drool.

11. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I have the X100 and DP2M and I've pre-ordered the DP3M... so indeed!

12. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I wish the DPMs could be used more easily handheld, but I just use them with a tripod and at ISO 100. But you're right that the DP3M will be even more concerned with camera shake given its focal length.

That said, soon I'll probably start to experiment with handheld shots for B&W.

13. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I've been taking many of my recent shots with both the DP1 and DP2M handheld. I've used a handle from an old flash bracket and fitted it with a quick release platform of the same type I use on my tripod. I find that set up much easier to hand hold than just the camera itself.

Barrie

14. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    How is the AF speed on the DP's?

15. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    Owing to a shortage of cash flow my tripod isn't working at the moment so all my pictures are hand held DP2M. I wish I had the tripod in working order; it is essential with the DP2M. Just waiting to save & buy a RRS clamp and quick release.

16. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Af speed is pretty decent..but not great. Forget action... Speed is somewhere between Fuji x100 initial fw 1.0 and the latest fw release. If u are street photography, another option is to use a cheap ovf like a voitlander or in my case I am using a rollei 40. Setup zone focus much like what u would do for a film rf camera.

Gary

17. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto SC Rookie

Feb 10, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    Kevin
    I know this isn't a new idea, but I think Sigma would have a serious hit on their hands if they put this sensor in a mirrorless body - NEX mount, Fuji XF mount, ยต4/3 mount, whatever. Their current camera strategy (proprietary DSLR mount, fixed lens compacts) for the Foveon sensor leaves me cold.

*edit* I actually hadn't looked at the sample photos ... now I have, and they're amazing! Drool-worthy sensor tech & glass in a very poor body for too high a price.

18. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Last week I was a whisker away from pulling the trigger on a very well priced barely used dp2merrill complete with nice freniac grip, the sluggish performance and battery consumption was not an issue...ultimately it was an inconvenient LR workflow for RAW that stopped me.

Man the images I've seen come these babies are astonishing, I would SO love to take one these out into the back alleys of Melbourne and capture the treasure of fascinating inner urban decay and textures. What a joy it must be come home from a days shooting and look at the images this little machine has captured.

It's now the second time I've passed on a pristine copy for under $720 and each time my will gets weaker.

19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Joe, do you have a link to that $720 DP2 Merrill so that I can consider buying it out from under you? :smile:

20. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lol.

Sold at eBay auction last week. (Item 111007993023)
    A guy in Canberra had it...700 shutter count, 3 batteries, freniac grip and wide angle converter. Bloody hell that was a good deal but the thought of having to first work via SPP then Lightroom kinda put me off. Lazy I know.

Believe me mate...I was quietly kicking myself when I let it slip. Only 4 bids.

Don't make me regret missing this chance more than I already do ok.

;)

PS. Interestingly enough, his reason for sale ? Going X-Pro !

• Like Like x 1