Sigma DP3M Sample Photos Now Online

I wish the DPMs could be used more easily handheld, but I just use them with a tripod and at ISO 100. But you're right that the DP3M will be even more concerned with camera shake given its focal length.

That said, soon I'll probably start to experiment with handheld shots for B&W.

Richard Franiec's grip is a must have for these cameras.

Last week I was a whisker away from pulling the trigger on a very well priced barely used dp2merrill complete with nice freniac grip, the sluggish performance and battery consumption was not an issue...ultimately it was an inconvenient LR workflow for RAW that stopped me.

I find the workflow to be very fast (not a one-stop shop in LR, but anything but sluggish).

SPP has a quite adequate browser and thumbnail size is easily adjusted. Even though I don't batch process, SPP saves your last settings.
Choose your photo.....make corrections (rarely any after the first)........and export to a TIFF folder.
Import into LR......and done.

I have the DP2M and I've now found a way to work with the Sigma files that gives me more flexibility. I process primarily for B&W so far; can't comment on color yet. But what I do is process the image in SPP (converted to B&W) and then export as a 16 bit TIFF. I open that file in RAW Developer, which in the current version now opens file formats other than just RAW, and process according to the recipes I've set up. I adjusted them for the Foveon files (actually, each recipe (preset) has a different impact on each camera type and I adjust them accordingly). This allows me to leverage SPP to get the best start with the Foveon file and then process further to style the image to my purpose and liking. Here is one example:

View attachment 65588

The processing is still a work in progress. The Foveon really captures these woods in a way that more accurately conveys their detail and complexity. But I have a specific look to my pictures that I've been trying to achieve, and being able to use my standard processing app with the Foveon files is great! The best of both worlds!

The point being that there are more options for dealing with Foveon files today. I'm curious to try the upcoming version of SPP that will have B&W-specific tools available. And I have the DP3M on order too! Can't wait to try some up-close pictures with it.

Back