Sigma Mirrorless Cameras

Discussion in 'Other Interchangeable-Lens Systems' started by serhan, Feb 23, 2016.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Another interesting announcement... Too bad they kept the slr mount:
    Surprise! Sigma announces the Sigma SD Quattro and SD Quattro H SA mount mirrorless cameras! – mirrorlessrumors
    Specifications | sd Quattro | Cameras |
    The Sigma Quattro SD:

• Two mode Autofocus system
    • Mirrorless system, Dust & Splash magnesium alloy body
    • Resolution equal to 39MP Bayer sensor on resolution testing
    • Compact design similar to dp Quattro cameras
    • SA mount
    The Sigma SD Quattro H:

• Larger APS-H sensor
    • Resolution equal to 51MP Bayer sensor on resolution testing
    • Designed to take advantage of SGV lenses with great IQ
    • SA mount
    96f7fdef572b416a9c798a196890a88f.
    Bildschirmfoto-2016-02-23-um-08.20.26-700x329.
    Bildschirmfoto-2016-02-23-um-08.20.30-700x362.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks serhan. At which prices will these cameras become available?
    I got a Sigma DP2.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    has the imaging pipeline been beefed up..... operational speed improved upon...... software made better?

I love the images from that Foveon sensor, but I won't work with the wonky software or slow cameras.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Looks like the work of a product designer that's not a photographer. The moment my right pinky dangled below the grip I'd throw it against the wall.

[breathe]

...maybe I should cut down on my coffee intake...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    If bad design (although I admit that my pinky rests below the grip on every camera I use) doesn't make you angry, then you don't care enough. I think your coffee intake is fine. :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Woody112704

Woody112704 SC Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Iowa
    Jared
    Luke, I would hope they fixed the operational speed seeing thats it is a bit bigger than the fixed lens ones, if not it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm curious to see if they've improved the high ISO any.

7. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    very exciting to me as it gets closer to bringing foveon to the masses. they not only made the camera splash and dust proof, but the lens mount itself is protected. and theyve implemented focus peaking for manual focus lovers. as long as theres no shutter lag i'm less concerned about 'operational' speed than i am low light performance. the pity to me is that i believe the SA mount has legacy glass compatibility limited to m42 mount lenses, though i'm happy to be told i'm wrong on this. and the evf placement may prove to be a bit difficult for some. but i am really anxious to learn more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. taqtaq

taqtaq SC Regular

May 31, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Tuukka
    I would love to have a Foveon camera again and this got me excited. Then I opened the pictures above in Photoshop and used the hotshoe to get an idea of the size...suddenly I remember why I sold my Canon 7D a few years ago :(

9. Agreed. Let's just hope it shoots well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Photographers Lounge mobile app

10. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    APS-H makes it interesting!

11. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I thought so too until I saw this photo:)

[​IMG]

Size comparison:
    Compact Camera Meter

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Sigmas are not famous for their af/operation speed, so adapting mf lenses make sense. Sigma SA has the same flange distance as Canon EF, so all mf Contax/Nikon/m42 lenses are adaptable to Sigma. However IQ is the big question as one pro photographer at FM forum is saying he had color shift issues when he adapted the Contax 85mm lens on SD1...

And another post about Nikon mount Zeiss lenses on SD1:
    Sigma SD Quattro with SA mount. A mistake?: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Another poster from the same dpr link:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'm afraid my OCD kicked in when I saw this. The photographic equivalent of one of these:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Compared to the DP Quattros it looks almost ordinary :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Alan7140

Alan7140 New to SC

Dec 31, 2013
    So Sigma have designed a "true" mirrorless camera - a DSLR with the mirror and prism removed. Nearly everything else is still a converted film camera - size, weight, lens mount. So a useless spacer tube to take film camera lenses and their later DSLR counterparts. A mount that takes 135/FX lenses needlessly.

Which is also why I never use the term "mirrorless" but follow the original naming convention (SLR, DSLR) and call my X-T1 an "SLE"" - Single Lens Electronic viewfinder - because its design is such from the ground up and owes nothing to having once accommodated film (mirror, m1rrobox, pentaprism reflex finder, light-tight film enclosure).