SiJ 2017 - Day 18.

I take my hat of to those struggling with the depths of winter - maybe we need a Single in July?
That was mentioned last year but I think there were less of us doing it then and there was definitely mental tiredness left over from merely completing the January one! Once a year seemed to be the general consensus, but who knows, maybe a chance for our northern hemisphere based members to watch us southern based members suffer through winter?:)

I agree that winter may make it a bit harder to get nice light, but on the other hand, it creates great opportunities - look at what @SnapDawg has been doing this last couple of days (and lots of others, of course - I just think he really made the most of the occasion).

That said, Mark (@stillshunter) already got me to agree to a film challenge in February/March (I'm really looking forward to that one); so I could probably get coaxed into join in in July, too. I have to watch it, though - I get really caught up in these ...

M.

What does a well trained man whose wife is returning tomorrow do? Clean, tidy, shop and await the arrival of the duty free allowance.
EM5 mk2 + Olympus 25mm

Domestic Duties.jpg

Last edited:
Underground road tunnel with slats of light shading across. Lovely to photograph if still, but the only way your going to capture it practically with there obviously being no pedestrian pavement, is in a car going at 80 kph. Which makes it difficult (it's not as if I can ask the cab driver to drive through it again so I can have another attempt). So this was my one and only shot at it with the S95.

IMG_0346.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hey, I could always shoot something around the house instead, but I'm going to be spending a lot of time indoors in the next couple of weeks so any shot outside of the house will be posted while I have the opportunity.

I agree that winter may make it a bit harder to get nice light, but on the other hand, it creates great opportunities - look at what @SnapDawg has been doing this last couple of days (and lots of others, of course - I just think he really made the most of the occasion).

That said, Mark (@stillshunter) already got me to agree to a film challenge in February/March (I'm really looking forward to that one); so I could probably get coaxed into join in in July, too. I have to watch it, though - I get really caught up in these ...

M.
The problem with UK weather this January is just that it's been so flippin' gloomy. I think there have been no more than a handful of days with decent light. I'd rather have cold and sunny weather (and blow the heating costs) than this milder murk.

The problem with UK weather this January is just that it's been so flippin' gloomy. I think there have been no more than a handful of days with decent light. I'd rather have cold and sunny weather (and blow the heating costs) than this milder murk.
It's been pretty much the same gloom and doom over here, nothing but rain for weeks until last weekend. For the first couple days of the SiJ I rarely shot anything below Fuji's idea of ISO3200.

Point taken. But if we want to avoid this summer/winter alignment, we'd have to shift to a spring/fall one - I'm all for that, come to that. But I take the gloominess as part of the challenge so far. Today, this means that I'm basically down to one single safety shot (but the day's not quite over yet). As long as noone tells me off for being a tad opportunistic at times, I'm fine with that.

But yes, it's true that shooting in good or at least interesting light is much more satisfying. Why not a SiS(eptember) or SiO(ctober)? But let's finish this SiJ the old way first - and show the weather who's boss (well, the weather is, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean I'll be bullied ...).

M.

Singles in July has had lower participation because so many folks from the forum are on vacation or other summer activities. Singles in January has worked because it gives folks motivation to get out and shoot as opposed to just sitting in the house. For me, I much prefer the overcast lighting of January to the strong high contrast light of July. July would have flowers, however.

Back