SiJ 2017 - Day 6.

The first day I had a clear picture in my mind. I pass a lovely little house on the way to the train station every day. It's recently been abandoned. Not sure what has happened to the owner. The fly tippers haven't wasted a moment and have started dumping stuff there already. Old couch, bits of car, rubble. It's a mess now. Makes me sad.

I've just finished listening to Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (same writer for Wayward Pines) over Christmas, really enjoyed it. The narration was superb. It's about how the choices we can make in life can create alternate realities, our lives following different strands for every possible choice we make creating multiple realities. The book is kind of inspiring my photography at the moment.

So, for the fly tipper. In this reality, he is a despicable character with no respect for other people's property. In another reality, he might be the victim of a fly tipper, and so on. The plant growing outside the old Rehab building at the abandoned hospital in my second image is a weed in this reality, in another he might be an orchard. I've been using the Analog Efex 2 software to process the images to give the effect that they are not quite fixed in this reality.

Anyway, that's how my thoughts are going at the moment. Not sure how well I will be able to continue with the theme throughout the month. I forget that weekdays are difficult for photography in January. The journey to and from work is always dark. I've never been any good at night time photography. If it was easy though, it wouldn't be a challenge!

Last edited:
My wife and daughter left this morning for a holiday in Bali, unfortunately work has kept me from joining them. Todays subject has a Balinese theme, shot from our patio.
EM5 mk2 + Olympus 25mm
Bali decor-2.jpg

New Toys
Leica IIIf (BD) w/- Summaron 28mm f5.6 and Voigtlander Heliar 101 Anniversary edition

r0000122-1024resize_orig.jpg

Ricoh GR-II

I have missed film too much. And from all the film cameras I've had over the years - and I have a lot - the Leica "Barnack" was by far my favourite. Simple and capable...words I'd love to be remembered by myself actually. So today they both arrived from different sellers. I bought back into a IIIf with a bonus 28mm pancake. As well as this Bessa-T kit more as a donor - for the limited edition lens and 50mm finder, but have found, now that it has arrived, that I might need to give it a go. Obviously styled after the Barnack with modern conveniences - like meter, lever winds, rear door feed, etc.

So excited!

Went into work for a couple of hours today, just to dip my toe in for the official comeback from crimbo which is this Monday. On my way, I passed through Sydney's Queen Victoria Building (About QVB if you're really bored) frequented by many tourists and perfect for SIJ. Does sharpness matter? Dunno really. But this one from the S95 is certainly not sharp, deliberately so. I reckon my time there is worth one or two postings to the outtakes thread as well.

IMG_0262 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

New Toys
Leica IIIf (BD) w/- Summaron 28mm f5.6 and Voigtlander Heliar 101 Anniversary edition

View attachment 122309
Ricoh GR-II

I have missed film too much. And from all the film cameras I've had over the years - and I have a lot - the Leica "Barnack" was by far my favourite. Simple and capable...words I'd love to be remembered by myself actually. So today they both arrived from different sellers. I bought back into a IIIf with a bonus 28mm pancake. As well as this Bessa-T kit more as a donor - for the limited edition lens and 50mm finder, but have found, now that it has arrived, that I might need to give it a go. Obviously styled after the Barnack with modern conveniences - like meter, lever winds, rear door feed, etc.

So excited!
That's great - fantastic adventures ahead. But beware - it's risky, getting back into film. Bug bit me more than a year ago. And it isn't any old tiny bug either - its first name is Medium Format. But its little Leica brother got me as well ... I guess I'll include it in SiJ somewhen - but the days that see me short of time are still ahead, so this needs to wait. Enjoy your new cameras (both of them - the Bessa might turn out to be the easier camera to carry around on a daily basis).

M.

That's great - fantastic adventures ahead. But beware - it's risky, getting back into film. Bug bit me more than a year ago. And it isn't any old tiny bug either - its first name is Medium Format. But its little Leica brother got me as well ... I guess I'll include it in SiJ somewhen - but the days that see me short of time are still ahead, so this needs to wait. Enjoy your new cameras (both of them - the Bessa might turn out to be the easier camera to carry around on a daily basis).

M.

Yeah I've tried to hide my MF camera - only have the Yashicamat 124G ATM. It's weird being back - beyond the little compacts (mju-ii, XAs, etc.) - and I'm looking forward to buring some 35mm over the weekend. Yeah the Bessa is tempting because of all the lazy features like a meter, easier loading, lever winding, etc., but the screw-mount Barnack are the Masters of Charm.

Mate we need to talk about a film challenge after this month is done. Maybe a roll-a-week for a month or something a little more challenging, focus and/or involved....let's talk ;)

Went into work for a couple of hours today, just to dip my toe in for the official comeback from crimbo which is this Monday. On my way, I passed through Sydney's Queen Victoria Building (About QVB if you're really bored) frequented by many tourists and perfect for SIJ. Does sharpness matter? Dunno really. But this one from the S95 is certainly not sharp, deliberately so. I reckon my time there is worth one or two postings to the outtakes thread as well.

View attachment 122310
Lovely lighting.

Back