SiJ 2018 - Day One.

Well, I shan't be going out again so its Happy New Year from me, and from Toby, who was permitted an early outing after being made to remain indoors all evening whilst fireworks were happening.

DSC_2450.jpg

Sorry Matt, but the first image posted is just a record shot.

Today's planned shooting involves a body and lens that rates as seriously NOT compact (>3kg!), but all is not lost - here is the LX100 that I won't be using for the challenge, as seen by the new LX100 that I picked up cheaply in the Boxing Day sales. I'll replace the broken screen when I get around to it and then my wife can have the spare.:cool:

P1370256.png

LX100, 1/50s @f/2.8

Ignore the date the photo was taken - I swear I took it today, not tomorrow. I have now adjusted the date on the new LX100 :oops:

I look forward to seeing other folk's more interesting contributions after I return from lugging the wrong camera around today.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all! Wishing you Health, Happiness and hopefully a little Wealth as well in 2018!

All I know is that it appears I'm # 4 or 5 depending on whether that was a record shot or not. :D

This is my new dog's first Christmas and New Year. She's a bit confused as to what the hullaballoo has been about since Dad set up that big tree that doesn't smell like a real tree downstairs.

SiJ-2018-Day01-002-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Happy new year, everyone!

IMG_20180101_095502-02.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is Jack (or Jaqueline ... not sure) but sHe's one heck of a smart turtle and a bit of a poser as well. Not bad for the old fart on the other side of the glass who's desperately trying to figure out how to use the %&?@# camera on his sillyphone.

Happy new year everybody . For the 1st shot I thought I would try out my Lee 15 stop nd. I've had it about a year and confess this is only the second time I've
used it. Sorry to say I find the setting up of the XPro2 and filters for long exposure photography a bit of a chore. I think I'm probably just lazy and impatient.
This was a 4 minute exposure . I also had a 3 stop nd grad on board. Not the results I was hoping for. All totally under exposed, this was the only frame out
of 6 worth working on. Probably won't be using filters a lot in 2018.

24560876337_de552b24f8_b.jpg
DSCF2456
by Garry, on Flickr

After the clearance of the early morning rain I was able to walk down the estuary to a subject I've photographed before.
180101-1030710.jpg

Wood and stone Ricoh GXR with A12M module and Voigtlander 21mm f/4 lens

Barrie

P.S. since first posting I've changed my mind and posted a slightly different composition which I feel is a touch better

Attachments

• 180101-1030711-1440..jpg
    180101-1030711-1440..jpg
    419 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Happy new year everybody . For the 1st shot I thought I would try out my Lee 15 stop nd. I've had it about a year and confess this is only the second time I've
used it. Sorry to say I find the setting up of the XPro2 and filters for long exposure photography a bit of a chore. I think I'm probably just lazy and impatient.
This was a 4 minute exposure . I also had a 3 stop nd grad on board. Not the results I was hoping for. All totally under exposed, this was the only frame out
of 6 worth working on. Probably won't be using filters a lot in 2018.

View attachment 131425DSCF2456 by Garry, on Flickr
Well there's an idea for those SIJ participants with yer X100's & GRs - you won't have that problem with the built in ND filters will you, so no excuses :D

The US NE is definitely in a deep freeze. Supposed to be that way in my area through the end of the week. This is the WV state flower, Great Rhododendron, Rhododendron maximum. There's no scientific consensus on why this evergreen broadleaf folds its leaves in the winter. One theory states it's to protect the leaves from dessication, although not all agree.

DSCF1043-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back