SiJ 2018 - Day Seven.

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by bilzmale, Jan 6, 2018.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    “In photography there are no shadows that cannot be illuminated.”
    Berenice Abbott
    1898 – 1991

American photographer Abbott, had a career spanning more than 60 years. Her black and white images of New York provide an extensive record of the city’s architecture.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Not going out. Too hot. Toby doesnt believe me. I'm just trying to make him wait til the temp drops under 40. IF it drops under 40.

7DE47411-1566-4C48-A64A-E4ED97BF8C08.

48BB6F73-CFD2-475D-AA63-BDAB696512C9.

Not much photo joy today

• Like Like x 10
    • Wow Wow x 3
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I admit it - I have an untidy desk problem. Today's image is 'office shaming' and I undertake to fix the situation before the end of SiJ. (Fair enough before the end of SiJ 2018). I will document the transformation here.
    BTW today's shot is in the miniature style.

R0000560_DxO.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Looks like mine!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hanneke

Hanneke SC Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hanneke
    DSCF0372-XL.

• Like Like x 9
  6. tonyturley

tonyturley SC All-Pro

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    For a moment it appeared as if you snuck into our office for that pic. I was just thinking this morning I needed to do something about it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy

It’s not a competition you know... :biggrin:

The weather station in Karratha is at the airport but I’m convinced it must be located inside the bar, in front of the aircon because the bastards reckon it’s only gotten to 36 or 37 here for the last few weeks. My own measurements at different locations tell a wildly different tale... :shakehead:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    • Like Like x 15
  9. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Yet another monochrome from close to home, actually just behind my current cottage home, this time with what I hope is more realistic processing together with a touch of added film grain.

180107-1030764-sefx.

Winter Hedgerow

Barrie

• Like Like x 12
  10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    I had to turn to Tolkien today for some inspiration...

“The Argonath, also known as The Gates of Argonath or The Pillars of Kings, is a monument comprising two enormous statues carved in the likenesses of Isildur and Anárion, standing upon either side of the River Anduin”

“Note that in the film, the statues are of Isildur and Elendil (as almost all references to Anárion were cut from the films).”

These two are bookends from the DVD box set, that since being gifted to my son, have somehow lost their outstretched hands...

8EA9AD2E-2BA9-4632-B910-E1995096F334.

• Like Like x 12
  11. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Well, let's start with the weather report for northern Vermont yet again. . . A -20°F when we got up this morning. Ski area located within walking distance of our home was shut down yesterday for safety because of the wind chill factor. So, walking around lookin' for an image right now tain't gonna' happen.
    Anyway, a snowy contemplating life froggie whose picture is taken way too often gets another chance.
    X-E2 with XF35mm f1.4, processed in LR "Classic" and Tonality.
    . . . David
    Zen Froggie.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    This is the Angel of Lens Testing. I have snapped him for years and he has built into a very useful reference resource.
    2018_0107_11143900-01.

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. MoonMind

MoonMind SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    More storm damage; I invite you to take a good look to find out why the tree in the foreground actually broke ...
    SiJ2018_07.

Today's image was processed using Snapseed (for Android - including full RAW development!) on a compatible Chromebook; I'm not yet as comfortable with this as I am with Polarr but the software is quite capable and pretty straightforward to use, and the result is pleasing enough, certainly more balanced than with Polarr. Snapseed is, however, optimised for touchscreen use - so might be a real contender on machines sporting such devices (it's a no-brainer on smartphones and tablets). I think I can even now recommend looking at Snapseed for those who haven't tried it yet.

M.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. marlof

marlof Trying to focus Subscribing Member

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    E4CDE3FA-E763-4E63-B296-6EF17D999810-L.

• Like Like x 12
  15. tonyturley

tonyturley SC All-Pro

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    The Winter buds of Callery Pear, Pyrus calleryana. By early Spring, the buds will swell to about 4X their current size, before exploding into numerous clusters of showy white flowers. Known also as Bradford Pear to many people, this common ornamental is also known for its brilliant crimson and gold Autumn foliage that often stays on the trees well into December.

Day 7.JPG

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Hageneth

Hageneth SC Regular

Jan 8, 2017
    Suffolk.UK
    Ian
    DSCF5134.JPG
    A cold day but sunny all day and me feeling well enough for a reasonable walk. These trees are alongside a small road outside the village and all the balls of greenery in the tops are mistletoe. After a windy day there will small bits of mistletoe scattered far and wide.

• Like Like x 11
  17. Hageneth

Hageneth SC Regular

Jan 8, 2017
    Suffolk.UK
    Ian
    I am very intrigued by your posts Hanneke. Are these memorials in remembrance of people who have died in accidents at those particular places or something else?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    C53EB73A-C39E-4BA8-88E5-42AA0942E553. The Providence airport candy store. Got me for a bag of Jelly Bellys.

• Like Like x 10
  19. This is why you need Wunderground instead. There's bound to be a local personal weather station uploading to there. I dont bother with the BOM anymore.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Briar

Briar SC Hall of Famer

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    31968386-98EC-4371-ACAE-DB95025C0739.

Day Seven - the wrong temperature

• Like Like x 12