SiJ 2018 - Day Twelve.

Don't think I'll be getting out today. So here's my safe shot. Toby atop his favourite viewing platform, the green waste bin, behind the bougainvillea where he can laze and lurk at the same time.

BEE75650-E5CA-4387-BFBF-8AAB72FFE988.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As a colleague of mine often said when both of us were still teaching - "you teach the way you were taught". Subsequently I'm not a big fan of gimmicks in photography. However, with another day of bad weather I decided to play around "outta' the box" for a minute or two. Truth is, I missed the focus a bit too.
. . . David
Still Life #2 - Color_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had set this up against the day when I would be unable to shoot anything regular, so here you go with the most trivial non-shot:
SiJ2018_12.jpg

The reason why I didn't get out to shoot is a lot less trivial. We lost a young colleague today - he drowned while swimming in our school's pool on his own over lunchtime. No details yet - though whatever happened, it's a tragedy.

I apologise for the incongruity - the image was never meant to be used in such a context. Had I not prepared it for an "emergency", I wouldn't have taken it at all. But as it stands, we do have to keep going; so in a way, it's the most extraordinary metaphor ...

M.

53996359-CC1D-47F0-9062-2A0492B905F0.jpeg

Day Twelve - the wrong ... who am I kidding, it’s Friday!

I took a shortcut to the train station this evening and came across an unexpected, macabre light show in the tunnel. Tried my best to catch the moving images with the LX100 as the pedestrians passed by. It coped much better than I expected - what with the movement and the low light. My shortcut didn’t work out so well as I missed my train but at least you get some respite from the leaves on day twelve!

Karen

39630052062_68d4400d08_c.jpg
SIJ2018 Day 12
by donlaw200, on Flickr
My colleagues Alan & Julia are as thrilled as I was to be finished with several days of work. We were watching the deteriorating weather all day and just as we were leaving heavy snow began to fall. Delayed flight due to deicing, but made the connection in Chicago and back home for the bewitching hour of midnight!

Last edited:
View attachment 132008SIJ2018 Day 12 by donlaw200, on Flickr
My colleagues Alan & Julia are as thrilled as I was to be finished with several days of work. We were watching the deteriorating weather all day and just was we were leaving heavy snow began to fall. Delayed flight due to deicing, but made the connection in Chicago and back home for the bewitching hour of midnight!
This is a really wonderful photo!

Back