SiJ 2018 - outtakes and experiments

My out take from day 15
DSCF5236.JPG

Wasn't sure which of the two to pick as my main photo, still not sure I got it right. Look carefully in the raindrops and you see the yellow house upside down.

A close up of my favourite Bernie Ecclestone plant (aka clematis "Bill Mackenzie"). The breeze picked up just as I took the shot hence the rather soft result.
View attachment 132161
Clematis Bill Mackenzie by Martin Connolly, on Flickr
I have a theory that merely pointing a camera at a plant, leaf or flower will generate a breeze. The more delicate the subject, the stronger the breeze. Murphy lives there.

Yes, I'm a New Englander by acclimatization. Technically, I'm not a real Southern New Englander because this is the wrong brand Ice Coffee, it should be Dunkin' Donuts. But they stopped the
"If the Patriots win over the weekend, your next coffee is .89 cents instead of 2 something" right before they won over the Titans. So a corporate wage slave's gotta do what he's gotta do. Don't judge. :D

SiJ-2018-Day16-001-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Yes, I'm a New Englander by acclimatization. Technically, I'm not a real Southern New Englander because this is the wrong brand Ice Coffee, it should be Dunkin' Donuts. But they stopped the
"If the Patriots win over the weekend, your next coffee is .89 cents instead of 2 something" right before they won over the Titans. So a corporate wage slave's gotta do what he's gotta do. Don't judge. :D

View attachment 132186
This is all so accurate.:rofl:

Thanks, Troy! I seem to do nearly everythng on the ipad now.. this will be a nice addition. IF it works in landscape mode... does it?

[edit] actually never mind. I've just realised that Snapseed does a very decent job of perspective fixing.

Yep Snapseed is pretty awesome but can’t fix fisheye distortion in one easy action (at least as far as I’ve tried with the perspective tools... and because it’s a slider you can easily find the sweet spot is the adjustment range... The effects in MrRw is easier to replicate but still not as quick or simple... I can’t vouch for “four points” though as I didn’t bother getting it...

(N.B. For the rest of the story, see the main thread of today - day seventeen.)
The other side of the pincer - the new storm moving in with a vengeance (though I have to say the winds weren't quite as strong as those of the one before). It was a toss-up between this and the image I chose, really:
SiJ2018_17_outtake_2.jpg

To capture the image above, I had to jog up a hill to get a clearer view; on the way up, I saw the bent icicle - hard to capture in a meaningful way because I couldn't get at a really good angle, but I think it's still visible:
SiJ2018_17_outtake_1.jpg

On the way down, I spotted the berries sheltering from the worst of the winter madness - the light could have been better, but the impression still made me smile (even though I had ice rain massaging my neck ...):
SiJ2018_17_outtake_3.jpg

As good as the AF of the V1 can be in good light, it struggled horribly (prolonging my discomfort) with the last subject ...

M.

An alternative image from Day 16. This is Candy who works at the Pine Club. She told me she has worked there since 1995, 23 years. The Pine Club is located in Dayton, Ohio and has been in the same location and with the same decor since 1947. And when you enter it is like returning to that era. The Food Network rates it as one of the top five steakhouses in the USA. They take no reservations or credit cards... You can 'join' the club and they will send you a handwritten bill through snail mail! One of the best steak dinners I have every had.
P1160037.jpg

Well this is really back to front. I was very dissatisfied with the image I posted for day 18. for whatever reason whilst it looked reasonable elsewhere it looked dreadful when posted in the thread with blocked shadows and other shortcomings. The original scene was very contrasty and for whatever reason the workflow I've been using in RawTherapee didn't seem to suit this image. I've had several attempts at redoing it and this is the latest attempt which is I hope you'll agree somewhat better. So I think my "outake and experiment" is better than my "Day 18" post. I'll leave you guys to judge.

181018-1030858-reprocessed.jpg

In constant use?

Barrie

Back