SiJ 2018 - outtakes and experiments

Once again I've been able to process an image posted in the main SIJ thread, this time day 19, more successfully. In this instance the use of Silver Efex following processing in ACR and Photoshop has led to an image with better tonal gradation although there might be marginally too much sharpening.

180119-1030867-sefx.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

Well would you believe it, the laugh's on me. Last night I commented on jpegs from the Ricoh GXR. I have saved them from each day, programmed in camera to produce monochrome images. This is today's, the only thing I've done to it is to run it through tone mapping in RawTherapee and here's the result. I haven't applied any sharpening and am impressed at how close it is to a processed raw file. I must entertain myself with trying a few others.

180119-1030867.jpg

Barrie

Today I went back to further explore the new path I found a couple of days ago; it was a very satisfying walk again. Here are a couple of impressions that I all considered for today's shot:

Another example of storm damage - look at how the tree got twisted before breaking!
SiJ2018_20_outtake_1.jpg

This is part of a works to tame this part of our local river (called the Emme) that caused serious flooding a few years back; I was mostly captivated by the light and hues ...
SiJ2018_20_outtake_2.jpg

Now for the new part of the path - I took a different fork this time and ended up next to the highway; nothing to write home about, but quite impressive structures to prevent landslides ...
SiJ2018_20_outtake_3.jpg

And now the most intriguing find: I had never been in that part of the town before, even though I've driven by countless times; I disvovered - the municipal graveyard, a huge area, and directly at the junction where the footpath finally met the road, an ancient Jewish partition. The youngest graves date from the 1930s!
SiJ2018_20_outtake_4.jpg

M.

(For the rest of the story, again, see today's post ...)
The creek - pretty jumbled up:
SiJ2018_21_outtake_1.jpg

I realise now that the pieces of wood in the foreground probably represent the remnants of a footbridge - strange, since the path definitely doesn't lead there (today). I'm standing *in* the creek, btw.

This thing was huge - I wish I had had something to illustrate the scale (I'll probably go back there later in the year and try stuff - but not as long as it's this wet and slippery):
SiJ2018_21_outtake_2.jpg

Sometimes, colour and texture are surprising even in unfavourable conditions as today's:
SiJ2018_21_outtake_3.jpg

And finally, a little demonstration of the V1's RAW file flexibility; in short, highlight recovery is extremely limited, but shadow recovery is quite good.
1 - OOC, 2 - shadows recovered moderately to explore capabilities, 3 - image edited to taste.
SiJ2018_21_outtake_5_OOC.jpg

SiJ2018_21_outtake_5_shadow_recovery.jpg

SiJ2018_21_outtake_5_visual.jpg

I wanted only a tiny pinheads of light in the shadows - but the image contained a lot more information than I dared hope for ...

M.

Last edited:
Back